The key to all of this is that you have an Apple Business manager or Apple School Manager account and the devices enrolled there so they get enrollment packages at first startup.
If you have more questions reddit.com/r/macsysadmin is an OK resource, as well as https://www.macadmins.org slack channel. Then there is always JAMF Nation which is another apple MDM but the forum has broad apple questions and answers that apply not only to JAMF
This occurred on both CENTOS 8 and UBUNTU LTS 18.04.
The laptops that we are attempting to clone are new HP 650’s. We upgraded the kernel to version 5.05 and 5.10 to try and get it to clone. We had been imaging HP 450’s before without an issue, and then when it reported a network driver not present on the clone to the 650 I did the upgrade.
What other details do you need, and I will gladly supply it.
I think we got it figured out. I researched that init.xy error and found another ticket that talked about websites being blocked. I did not realize that the tarball still made calls out for files for the update. Sure enough, I found websites blocked. I added those sites to our whitelist, and tried it again and it worked perfect. I guess sometimes you just got to throw your hands up in the air and reset!
Thank you for your help throughout this long drawn out process.
@gn_ro Not exactly sure why you run into this issue but looking through the code and searching the web for this error message I might have an idea what’s going on. After the deployment (through partclone.dd in this case) FOS looks for any NTFS partition, tries to mount it and see if it can modify registry files to change the hostname of the machine (pre Windows boot up!). This feature is called “early hostname change” and can be turned off. In the FOG web UI go to FOG Configuration -> FOG Settings -> section General Settings -> uncheck CHANGE HOSTNAME EARLY and save settings.
Unfortunately this can only be turned on and off globally. Most people want to keep that turned on and so might you for most of your machines. But I think it’s appropriate for you to quickly turn it off whenever you need to deploy that special machine.
@sebastian-roth I will have to wait until late next month to update. I have to image around 200 computers in the coming weeks so I’ll leave those laptops as the last devices to image in case something breaks with the update.
Thanks for all your help, I will reply to the thread after I update the server.
That’s true, but every time I upgraded either fog or the OS, something would break. I used to have the advantage of Tom Elliott being available to assist in these cases, but he never returns emails or phone calls from me in like nearly 2 years.
One option you can try is to compile the latest version of iPXE. There has been some updates to iPXE since 1.5.9 has been released. There may be some value in trying the process outlined by Sebastian here: https://forums.fogproject.org/post/141618
You will need the github version of the fog installer to follow these steps.