Make sure you have your Surface on the latest firmware, or if not the August firmware, at least the July firmware. They’ve done some serious cleanup on the Surface EFI firmware that has made it a bit more network boot friendly.
when it’s done. at this point, i would say the release date will be “soon”
we can’t really schedule a release date, because many of us can’t really schedule time to work on fog. we work on fog in our spare time, for free.
I had the wrong mysql username/password in Config.class.php on the nodes. During the node install, I had given it a generic root account but found out earlier today that I specifically needed the username/password for storage nodes, which I found under the storage node section in settings on the main server.
Second: I realized the nodes couldn’t even connect to the main database, and I was able to narrow that down to the my.cnf file on the main server. It had the bind address set to 127.0.0.1. I commented that line out, restarted mysql, and then they were able to connect.
After I verified everything was talking correctly, I restarted the FOGImageReplicator service and everything instantly started copying. The fogreplicator.log file on Node1 shows Group #2 as I expected it might.
This also fixed an issue that I never really cared about enough to fix… On the main fog dashboard page under disk information, It always told me “Failed to connect to” when I selected Node1 or Node2. that’s fixed now and I can see the disk usage for them.
The only QoS policies we have in place are for VoIP phones so I don’t think that should have any effect.
I’m actually doing my testing on the core. I noticed the issue offsite in another building and then came back to the office to test at the source. Yep - the server and clients are both on the core switch. This switch does the routing between vlans. As soon as the clients move out of the server vlan, multicast suffers.
I might have to look into the Iperf tests - it sounds like a neat tool. All other traffic seems okay though - I can copy files from PCs around the network and still get gigabit speeds.
Thanks for the thoughts! At this point the issue is only slowing me down a little bit - we’re just unicasting everything at the moment so it’s not a major problem, just something I’d like to try to fix.