Sysprep Windows 7 Computer Name

• Hi everyone,
    I’m getting back into making more images in preparation for our summer re-imaging and want to revisit something I wasn’t successful with last year.

I have an answer file that does 99% of what I want, but one thing I’ve never been able to get to work correctly is the computer name. At this point, imaging is a hands-off process except for one step - after imaging is complete, I have to click Next at the screen that says please enter a name for your computer. I leave the default name of PC filled in because the fog client changes it later, but still, it’s one step I would love to eliminate.

I attached the unattend file I’m currently using, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

[url="/_imported_xf_attachments/1/1654_unattend.txt?:"]unattend.txt[/url]

• Same here; except my computer names start with lab-xxxxx

<ComputerName>lab-*</ComputerName>

Works like a charm!

• Developer

I use:

[code]
    <component name=“Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup” processorArchitecture=“x86” publicKeyToken=“31bf3856ad364e35” language=“neutral” versionScope=“nonSxS” xmlns:wcm=“http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State” xmlns:xsi=“http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance”>
    <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
    <RegisteredOrganization>Microsoft</RegisteredOrganization>
    <RegisteredOwner>CORPORATION</RegisteredOwner>
    <ProductKey>FJ82H-XT6CR-J8D7P-XQJJ2-GPDD4</ProductKey>
    <CopyProfile>false</CopyProfile>
    <TimeZone>TIMEZONE</TimeZone>
    </component>
    [/code]
    This causes the machine to generate a name for itself based off the RegisteredOwner criteria. Then I let FOG rename the machine.

I see where you included the <computername> but in my experience, without a registered owner the naming process fails :(

I used AutoBVT (Only because when I set up my unattend.xml I used the windows AIK to do so, and it was the default) as the RegisteredOwner and each of my machines started with AutoBVT-(Random Sequence) and then FOG renamed them appropriately.

Hope this helps.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.