Migrate PM to VM 1.2.0

• @jmeyer What do you mean by remaking images on GUI? Doesn’t import/export take care of this? I’ve already got the images copied over from the old server to the new one, do you suggest deleting the images folder and starting over?

• @JDnoble18 said:

@george1421 I did this again, it said the import was successful…still no images, no hosts, and no ad settings. It looks like import/exporting might not work?

What exactly does the import/export do?

The import / export feature exportes the ENTIRE databsae - all settings, everything.
    the import overwrites all settings, putting in place everything from the import.

• @Quazz said:

You need to export the image list. Go to image management, export images, then import them in the VM.

This feature isn’t available in 1.2.0 stable. It’s in FOG Trunk right now (1.3.0 beta).

• @george1421 I did this again, it said the import was successful…still no images, no hosts, and no ad settings. It looks like import/exporting might not work?

What exactly does the import/export do?

• If you don’t have too much images, here is how I do :

1. install your new server with different IP (old server will still be usable and never think you won’t need to deploy. I did once… 15 computers needed it…)
    2. then there is 2 way for images :
    • Mount the directory on new server
    mkdir <directoryname>
    sudo mount -t nfs -o rw <OldFogServerIP>:/images /home/<youruser>/<directoryname>/
    cp -r <directoryname>/ Images/

OR

• REPLICATION !!!

Add new server storage in same group as the storage of the old storage under old GUI.
    Don’t set new storage as MASTER or… you are dead ! lol
    Check logs : /opt/fog/log/fogreplicator.log ou in GUI http://fogserver/fog/management/index.php?node=about&sub=log then “Image Replicator”.

(OR… the most simple, use Winscp ! lol)

For the host :
    Export from old server : Report Management -> Host List -> Format CSV
    Edit the file to have : “MAC Address (ie: 00:11:22:33:44:55) *”,“Hostname *”,“IP Address”,“Description”,“Image ID”

*These two things can be enough

Don’t leave this line in it.

Import in new FOG server : Host Management -> Import Hosts

You will have to remake images on GUI (unless you play with SQL) but during copy, you can do it.

OK rereading your OP multiple times, the first thing you need to get settled is the database export / import. You need to get the settings and passwords into your new system. Without the database the rest of the bits are pointless.

If you are running fog 1.2.0 or a trunk release then there is a built in function to export the configuration from within the gui and then import into your new server. There is no need to use the spiceworks method. That is for the 0.3.x and older release.

GO into the Fog Configuration and select the Configuration Save option that will download the fog_backup.sql to your computer, then go to the new server and upload the settings.

• @george1421
    I got this when i entered: showmount -e <ip_address_fog_server>
    /images/dev *
    /images *

• @Quazz When I go to Image Management I don’t have the option to export.

• @george1421 I’m using XenServer 6.1 and Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Be aware that you need the files in /opt/fog too. There are the snapins that need to be moved.

But with your current error it sounds like you don’t have the correct files exported for NFS.

from your new server linux console you want to run the following command

showmount -e <ip_address_fog_server>

That should give you something like this:

Export list for <ip_address_fog_server>:
    /images/dev *
    /images     *

If it does not then you need to update your exports file.

vi /etc/exports

and add in:

/images *(ro,sync,no_wdelay,insecure_locks,no_root_squash,insecure,fsid=1,)
    /images/dev *(rw,sync,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,fsid=2,)

Lets take a step back here.

You are doing a p2v migration. What hypervisor are you using? If you are using vmware there is a much easier path, unless you are doing an OS upgrade at the same time.

You need to export the image list. Go to image management, export images, then import them in the VM.

Users

Topics