Multiple NIC Hosts

• Developer

I’m experiencing problems with some of the SVN revisions after 1.2.0 on machines with two NICs. I’m using the NIC that tends to register as eth1.

Here’s some base information:

FOG Versions Tested: 1.2.0, SVN 2948, and SVN 3053
    On-Board NIC: Intel 82579LM Gigabit (Registers as eth1 with Linux)
    PCI-Express NIC: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit (Registers as eth0 with Linux)

First of all, version 1.2.0 works fine. [B]This bug is experienced in SVN 2948 and 3053.[/B]

When I try to register a host or capture an image from a host, SVN 2948 and 3053 do not power on the On-Board NIC (eth1) while attempting to get a DHCP lease. Switching the cable to the PCI-E NIC immediately leases an IP. Removing the PCI-E NIC allows registration and imaging to work on the On-Board NIC.

It appears that some point between 1.2.0 and SVN 2948, the behavior was changed to only use eth0 rather than find the working interface.

• Developer

Thank you guys for working on this and making it all run smoothly!

• Developer

[quote=“Tom Elliott, post: 43130, member: 7271”]It’s all good, you should see the issues I forget about, like using my mac address implicitly in the inventory and wondering why everybody else is getting repeated inventory errors.[/quote]

Now that’s a good one.

• Senior Developer

It’s all good, you should see the issues I forget about, like using my mac address implicitly in the inventory and wondering why everybody else is getting repeated inventory errors.

• Developer

[quote=“Tom Elliott, post: 43128, member: 7271”]There’s one more issue

Shouldn’t the cat be reading a file, not the directory?[/quote]

Yes. Fixed again. I really should have slept more last night. :confused:

• Senior Developer

There’s one more issue

Shouldn’t the cat be reading a file, not the directory?

• Developer

[quote=“Tom Elliott, post: 43117, member: 7271”]Also, shouldn’t the tr -d be tr -d ‘@’ not tr -d ‘0’?[/quote]

Sorry, I was copying off code from my cellphone and wasn’t thinking about what I was typing. Also caught another typo on the udhcpc_opt statement.

Fixed the typos in the original post.

• Senior Developer

Also, shouldn’t the tr -d be tr -d ‘@’ not tr -d ‘0’?

• Senior Developer

Bad statement.

linkstate=$(/bin/cat /sys/class/net/$iface

Should be
    linkstate=$(/bin/cat /sys/class/net/$iface)

• Developer

[CODE]# Enable all interfaces
    ifaces=$(ls -1 /sys/class/net | tr -d ‘@’)
    for iface in $ifaces; do
    /sbin/ip link set $iface up
    done

Provide time for interfaces to detect their state

sleep 5

echo “auto lo” > /etc/network/interfaces
    echo “iface lo inet loopback” >> /etc/network/interfaces

for iface in $ifaces; do
    linkstate=$(/bin/cat /sys/class/net/$iface/carrier)
    if [[ “x$linkstate” = “x1” -a “x$iface” != “xlo” ]]; then
    echo “auto $iface” >> /etc/network/interfaces
    echo “iface $iface inet dhcp” >> /etc/network/interfaces
    echo -e “\tudhcpc_opts -t 100 -T 20\n” >> /etc/network/interfaces
    fi
    /sbin/ip link set $iface down
    done[/CODE]

This solution only requires one sleep rather than five-seconds of sleep time per interface.

Edit: Fixed typos.

• Developer

Finally got a chance to play with it, and I have a solution.

Insert a 5-second sleep between setting the interface up and checking the link status (we can’t just check before it gets a chance to find out if it is connected to a cable). Here’s the snippet as modified.

[CODE]…
    /sbin/ip link set $iface up

Provide time for the interface to update linkstate

sleep 5
    linkstate=$(/bin/cat /sys/class/net/$iface/carrier)
    …[/CODE]

Works on my end.

…and if you wait just a second, I’ll have an optimized version…

• Senior Developer

Would the problems we’re seeing be related to the fact we bring the interface up, but we don’t bring it back down, so when the interface is added and the loop happens, it can’t get dhcp because it believes the link is up?

• Senior Developer

Updated to reflect the change. Pushed to inits as well.

• Developer

[quote=“Tom Elliott, post: 43023, member: 7271”]What’s weird, though, is the /etc/network/interfaces appears to get the proper values set (without the -a) but even without eth0 should still be found with little issue, and without these tweaks (reverting back to only having iface eth0) everything functions properly.[/quote]

Actually, I was trying to go off memory. The flag is [B]-i $iface[/B]. You don’t want to use -a. Sorry about that.

• Senior Developer

What’s weird, though, is the /etc/network/interfaces appears to get the proper values set (without the -a) but even without eth0 should still be found with little issue, and without these tweaks (reverting back to only having iface eth0) everything functions properly.

• Developer

By default, udhcpc uses eth0. You will probably need to add -a $iface to udhcpc_opts. I was unsure if that would be taken care of by /etc/network/interfaces.

• Developer

Sure I am happy to assist as much as I can!! Looking at the script in current SVN I noticed that you create ‘/etc/network/interfaces’ new from scratch (by using ‘>’) when ‘lo’ is detected. Normally that would be a good idea but when running this in my FOG test environment (QEMU) I end up with this:
    [CODE]auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback[/CODE]

Why you ask?? Because ‘lo’ does not necessarily come first. Actually on most systems ls is sorted by alphabet and ‘e’ comes before ‘l’. Do you know what I mean?

Fix: Use “>> /etc/network/interfaces” everywhere instead of “> /etc/network/interfaces”. If you want to make sure that it’s empty then do “echo > /etc/network/interfaces” before the for loop.

• Senior Developer

so apparently this isn’t working properly.

I’ve changed the for loop to only add if the interfaces found does not match lo and eth0. My testing side seems to work properly, but other’s are seeing really strange things, particularly that the nic’s aren’t getting IPs. I don’t know why, maybe I can get some help over here?

• Senior Developer

It shouldn’t pose problems unless the nic is unsupported, in which case they’d already be having problems regardless of with or without these tweaks.

• Developer

[quote=“cspence, post: 42950, member: 28749”]Careful, that’s not an “L”, that’s a “One.” He set it up to do one file/directory per line.[/quote]
    That’s right, thanks for clarifying. And thank you Tom for adding this straight into the project. I really hope that it’s not causing any trouble for other users…

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.