@sebastian-roth OK, did a bios update - that part was actually nice since the bios supports updating over ethernet without the need for an operating system or flash drive. Fog still fails, though, so that didn’t fix it. I can still deploy an image via scheduled task in the web UI, just not from the fog boot menu. It’s not a deal breaker but it would be nice to know what isn’t working.
Posts
-
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
-
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
@sebastian-roth There’s a video link in this thread that shows the entire process.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a_FtsLZOHJ0EzV3UakXAaSmS_RMD7b5C/view?usp=sharingYes, it show characters being typed, and I get denied three times before it gives up and drops out. I have verified that I am typing the credentials correctly, and went as far as creating another admin account and it fails as well.
I will investigate a bios update. I know for a fact that there is a firmware update for this laptop - Microsoft Update is a delivery mechanism for this HP bios update, which is (in my opinon) pretty unusual.
-
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
@sebastian-roth OK, now we are getting somewhere… With some testing, this seems to be a model specific issue.
HP 450 G2 Legacy mode - works
HP 450 G5 UEFI - works
HP 450 G7 UEFI - works
HP 450 G8 UEFI - not working - it boots normally but the username/password for quick deploy doesn’t work for some reason
The G8 bios does not support legacy mode so I can’t test that. -
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
@george1421 OK, tried all that and it still does not work. I’m sure the problem lies at a deeper level somewhere. I made a video of the entire boot process, maybe you will see something out of the ordinary?:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a_FtsLZOHJ0EzV3UakXAaSmS_RMD7b5C/view?usp=sharing
-
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
@george1421 I tried your script. Does it need the word “login” at the top like the old one had? Regardless, I tried it both ways. When I choose deploy from the menu I still get a login prompt, and am still unable to authenticate. (FYI We do not use LDAP, my goal is to keep this system as simple as possible.)
-
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
@george1421 I’ll try your menu option for testing purposes - I do work in a public school though and I’m not sure if I want to leave it like that.
Also to answer your other message: Our user name and password are us-english characters and are very simple and short.
-
RE: Lenovo L13W Yoga not booting to FOGposted in FOG Problems
@sebastian-roth If DMA protection is an option, turn it off.
I have tried to fog lenovo’s in the past and there something about the bios on those things that make it a difficult process. If I remember correctly (and i may be wrong) they have no legacy support at all and therefore require your DHCP server to have some somewhat complex settings in order to support UEFI boot processes. For reference: https://gal.vin/posts/old/pxe-booting-for-uefi-bios/
-
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
@george1421 Update:
To troubleshoot, I did the following:
I use Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS and I ran updates just to make sure it was up to date. No problems there.
I created a new admin user in the FOG UI too see if I can use that user to make a quick deploy. This new user also fails to work do a quick deploy despite the fact that it can indeed log into the UI. I don’t have custom menu settings so this should be the default:login
params
param mac0 ${net0/mac}
param arch ${arch}
param username ${username}
param password ${password}
param qihost 1
isset ${net1/mac} && param mac1 ${net1/mac} || goto bootme
isset ${net2/mac} && param mac2 ${net2/mac} || goto bootme -
RE: Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
@george1421 Well that’s just it… I’m using the same user name and pass as the web ui user. I also used the same user and pass for Ubuntu. Those work just fine. If I pxe boot to the menu, the same user and password does not work.
Can I make another user and test that? Or perhaps do a password change on the current user and see if things line up again? Does the FOG system rely on the OS for its users or is that kept seperate somewhere? I set up this server a long time ago but honestly I rarely mess with it.
-
Fog quick image password not workingposted in FOG Problems
I’m using version 1.5.9 FOG, when I boot to the pxe menu and select “Deploy Image” I am prompted for the username and password. I’m sure I’m using the correct name and password - it’s worked reliably in the past - but now it’s not working. After three tries it dumps me to a generic text menu that has no real functionality other than to reboot or show hardware info. I can still create and deploy images with the Web Interface without issue, but I would really like to get the quick image deploy working again too.