File to file network backup (Not a tutorial yet)

• Hello guys,

I was thinking about using FOG to backup user files. Let me try to explain: The computer comes to me, I do a backup of the files (oftenly removing the HD and doing it physically in my dock) and reinstall the system deploying an image with FOG. If I could use FOG to backup the files through network, it would be great. But I guess the best way to do it would be booting to a Live Linux with a startup script or something… what do you guys think? Could I do it over IPXE (TFTP?)?

@Junkhacker I did not know this…

• Developer

it’s worth mentioning that when moving files between linux and windows systems, file permissions are NOT preserved. just something to keep in mind

• Thanks for the suggestions guys, I’ll be looking into both and the one which comes to be more viable, I’ll be testing and if succeed, posting here.

@itsl3v1s FOG now has what’s called postinitscripts which run before the imaging process. You can script mounting the local drives one at a time and looking for /mnt/users and copy that off to somewhere.

This of course wouldn’t work for encrypted files or bitlocker’d systems, but neither would any other method either.

Software like FOG and Clonezilla do backups based on the block level. They image the entire drive, block by block. For what you want to back up, you really need a file level backup so that you can restore the files post imaging instead of the entire disk (as you would with FOG).

Now you could pxe boot a live image of linux (i.e. puppy linux) and copy off the user files to a nfs share, then image the system, then pxe boot again using a live linux and copy them back.

I can tell you that when we migrate users at our office, we use USMT to copy their profile and files to a network share. Clone the system and then at the end use USMT to copy the files back to the new system. This is then all done in the windows realm.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.