Unable to Capture Image With Error : Cannot Read Partition

• Hi everyone,

I am trying to capture an image that is sitting on a raid 1 configuration. It is 2 Nvme Drives connected to a Dell Boss Card, but when the time comes to capture the image, I get an error saying fog is unable to read the partition. Is this caused by the Raid config? Or could it be Fog’s config ?

Thanks, looking forward to your answers,

Phil.

• @george1421 Hi, actually, we currently have 2 x 227GB SATA connected to the Dell Boss Card. They are set up as a RAID 1 for the OS. You are correct for the 5 x NVME. In Windows’s disk manager, we only see 6 disks. The OS disk (that is 2 x 227GB SATA in RAID 1 sitting on the Boss card) and the NVME drives that are set up in a software RAID 5.

As for the kernel, thank you for pointing that out. We will try to update that as well.

We are currently trying to capture the image using the 1Gbe network adapters.

Here is the Hardware ID associated with the Dell Boss Card :

BossHardwareID.png

I am not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for. Let me know if it isn’t.

Also, I sent this command for you : grep -i firmware /var/log/messages. I got an empty output to this command which is different than what we previously tried (grep -i firmware /var/log/syslog which gave us grep: /var/log/syslog: No such file or directory)

Again, Thank you for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

Phil

@pbelzile For this Dell BOSS card, can you collect the microsoft windows hardware ID for this device? I need the vend and hardware IDs. I want to make sure I’m looking at the right card.

@pbelzile Ok from the screen shot I see that your system appears to have 1 227GB sata hard drive and 5 nvme 1.7TB drives.

Assuming you are using MS Windows as the OS how many drives do you see in the disk manager?

The kernel version you are using is a bit older 5.10,x you might consider updating to 5.15.x kernel to get the latest hardware support. I;m not saying that is the problem here, just it would rule out and older kernel.

Interesting devices from your output from command 3

79:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: Broadcom / LSI Device [1000:00b2] (rev b0
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
    04:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5720 2-port Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:165f]
    31:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GBASE-T [8086:15ff] (rev 02)
    31:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GBASE-T [8086:15ff] (rev 02)
    f7:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller [0107]: Broadcom / LSI Device [1000:00b2] (rev b0)
    ea:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller PM173X [144d:a824]

As for the syslog grep, its probably /var/log/messages then. I get my linux distros mixed up unless I look before I speak. Based on the nic cards there will be errors related to firmware.

I need to do a little research on the interesting devices and I’ll come back a bit later.

From an imaging standpoint are you trying to image using the 10G or 1GbE network adapters?

• @george1421 Hi, first I want to thank you for taking the time to answer and give me the first troubleshooting steps. It is greatly appreciated. Here is the output of the first and second command you wanted me to try :

cmd1and2.JPG

As you can see, the third command gave me an empty output so I copy pasted the output of the third command without the grep part. Here it is : cmd3output.txt

As for the last command, it gave me the following output : grep: /var/log/syslog: No such file or directory

Thank you,

Phil.

@pbelzile First let me say that FOG is geared more towards the workstation class systems than servers. This appears to be a server class card (maybe).

With that said if you want to debug this a bit more we can.

What I want you to do is schedule another capture / deploy doesn’t matter, but before you hit the schedule task button, tick the debug checkbox. Then schedule the task.

PXE boot the target computer. You will get several screens of text you need to clear with the enter key.

This will drop you to the FOS Linux command prompt.

From here lets run a few commands.

lsblk
    uname -a
    lspci -nn | grep -i raid
    grep -i firmware /var/log/syslog

The first command will tell us if linux sees the disks and the layout
    The second command will tell us the version of the fos linux kernel
    Third command will search the PCI bus for any raid adapters (if the card doesn’t have raid in the name try it again without the grep command and we will have to dig through the PCI output command
    The last command will tell us if linux has a driver for the card but firmware is missing.

So for debugging I’ll give you an option to make copy and pasting a bit easier.
    At the fos linux command prompt get the IP address of the target computer with ip a s and note the lan address.

Give root a simple password like hello with this command passwd

Now use putty or ssh terminal to connect to the target computer as root with the password and IP address you collected previously.

Users

Topics