FOG cannot load qlogic network driver on PowerEdge R640

• Hello.
    I have FOG installed on VM with the latest versions:
    bzImage Version: 5.15.19
    bzImage32 Version: 4.19.145

When I boot PowerEdge R640 server from FOG, and go to inventory I got an error
    No network interfaces found, your kernel probably missing the correct driver
    see the attachment below:

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 15.29.37.png

rpviewer.png

PowerEdge R640 HW details from iDRAC
    Integrated NIC 1: QLogic 2x25GE QL41262HMCU CNA
    Family Firmware Version 14.05.00
    Family Driver Version 8.37.0.20

Supported Boot Protocol iSCSI, PXE, FCoE

Please advise how I can fix this issue.

@bsedash Well lets start out with saying that FOG is intended to be an imaging tool for desktops and laptops, not servers. Since the drivers need to be built into the FOS Linux kernel only the most common drivers are installed (in linux terms that means a lot of drivers are already included in the box).

Servers tend to use specialty hardware not typically found on workstation systems. With that said FOG CAN surely be used for imaging servers. We might just need to create a custom linux kernel for this job. Since I don’t have an R640 that is not currently in production I will need your assistance to find the hardware IDs for this server.

The steps are pretty simple. Cancel the current image deployment/capture job you have running on this server. Schedule a new capture/deploy (doesn’t matter), but before you hit the schedule task button tick the debug checkbox. Now schedule the task and pxe boot the target computer.

On the target computer you will see several screens of text that you need to clear with the enter key, then you will be dropped to the FOS Linux command prompt.

This first part is optional but will help with the copy paste during debugging. Type these commands into the FOS Linux console on the target computer. Give root a password with: passwd Make it a simple password like Hello, no worries this password will be reset upon reboot. Now get the IP address of the target computer with ip a s With this two bits of information now use putty or ssh from a windowed computer to the target computer. Login as root and the password you created before @ the ip address of the target computer.

Once you are there now lets figure out the hardware this server actually has. Execute these commands and post the results here

lspci -nn | get -i net
    grep -i firmware /var/log/syslog

Now lets also check to see of FOS Linux can see your disk controller.

lsblk
    lspci -nn | grep -i raid

Once we know the hardware IDs I can look to see if a) there are linux drivers available for them and b) if FOS Linux has them already enabled.

Users

Topics