FOG API add snapin, run task and then delete

• Through the API, I am looking to be able to add a snapin task to a host and then run the task and then delete the snapin from the host all via powershell. Is there a way to do this? Here is what I have so far:

#######################################################################################################################
    # Configure the variables below for the Fog Server
    #######################################################################################################################
        #FogServer
            $fogApiToken = 'ABCDE'
            $fogUserToken = 'FGHIJ'
            $fogServer = "192.168.1.100"
            $headers = @{};
            $headers.Add('fog-api-token', $fogApiToken);
            $headers.Add('fog-user-token', $fogUserToken);
            $baseUri = "http://$fogServer/fog"

#Shows the Deploy Task ID

$TasktypesURL = $baseUri + "/tasktype"
             $TasktypesResult = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $TaskTypesURL -Method GET -Headers $headers -ContentType "application/json"
             $TasktypeID = ($TasktypesResult.tasktypes | Select-object name,id | Where-object {$_.name -eq "Single Snapin"}).id

#Get Snapin List From Fog Server

$SnapinURL = $baseUri+"/snapin/"
            $SnapinResult = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $SnapinURL -Method GET -Headers $headers -ContentType "application/json"
            $Snapin = $SnapinResult.snapins | Select-object id,name | Where-object {$_.name -eq "Remote Settings"}

#GetHost List from fog Server

$HostURL = $baseUri +"/host/"
            $HostResult = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $HostURL -Method GET -Headers $headers -ContentType "application/json"

#Get Specific Host from FOG Server
            $HostURL = $baseUri +"/host/"
            $Results = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $HostURL -Method GET -Headers $headers -ContentType "application/json" 
            $Hosts = $Results.hosts
            $SpecificHost = $Hosts | where name -match "Computer Name"

#Start an Image
            $SnapinID = $Snapin.id
            $HostID = $specifichost.id  

$TaskURL = $baseUri + "/host/" + $HostID + "/task"
            $TaskdataSet = @{
                "taskTypeID" = $TasktypeID
                "deploySnapins" = $Snapin
                }
            $taskdataToSend = ConvertTo-JSON($TaskdataSet)
            $TaskResult = Invoke-RestMethod -Method Post -Uri $TaskURL -Headers $headers -Body $taskdataToSend -ContentType "application/json"

All it does is start an image. At this point, I am just trying to get it to deploy the single snapin. From everything I read, it is supposed to be tasktypeID 13. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FOG 1.5.9.34
    CentOS 7

• Testers

Made a fogapi git issue, so that I hopefully don’t forget about this idea https://github.com/darksidemilk/FogApi/issues/4

• Testers

@chris-whiteley I just re-read your post and realized you want to deploy a single snapin task, not the all snapins task.

I’d have to test it but I believe what you want is

$json = (@{
      "taskTypeID"='13';
      "deploySnapins"='snapinName';
    } | ConvertTo-Json);
    New-FogObject -type objecttasktype -coreTaskObject host -jsonData $json -IDofObject $hostid;

When doing the all snapins taks the tasktypeid is 12 and you set the deploySnapins to ‘-1’. @Tom-Elliott can help with confirming the syntax of the json required for a single snapin. But if your using my powershell module, then the New-FogObject command will take care of creating the task.

If you look at the code for start-fogsnapins here https://github.com/darksidemilk/FogApi/blob/master/FogApi/Public/Start-FogSnapins.ps1 you’ll note that I also have some checks for existing snapin tasks on the host. You’d probably want to do something like that. I should probably make it so that little segment is its own function, like Test-SnapinTasks and should probably make a separate start-fogsnapin function for single snapin tasks. But hey you could always do a pull request if you want to give writing it a try. I don’t know when I’ll have time to do all that myself.

• Testers

@sebastian-roth Hey that’s me!

@Chris-Whiteley I do this all the time. So 100% yes you can do this. I even have some pre-built helper functions for it in the published powershell module FogApi.
    So step one is install and setup the fogapi powershell module (check the links in my signature)

I actually do pretty much that exact process in my provisioning of machines.
    Check out

#create a list/array of the snapins you want to remove
    $snapinsToRemove = @('snapin','names','here'); 

#get all the snapin associaion objects
    $AllAssocs = (Get-FogObject -type object -coreObject snapinassociation).snapinassociations

# Get the snapins associated with your host
    $AllHostSnapins = Get-FogAssociatedSnapins -hostId $hostID;

#get the ids of the snapins you want to remove, from the list of snapins attached to your host.
    $snapinIds = ($AllHostSnapins | Where-Object name -in $snapinsToRemove).id

#Get a list of the snapinassociation ids that match your host id and are in the list of snapin ids attached to your host
    $assocsToRemove = $allAssocs | Where-Object { $_.hostID -eq $hostID -AND $_.snapinID -in $snapinIds}

# loop through the found associations and remove them
    $assocsToRemove | ForEach-Object {
        Remove-FogObject -type object -coreObject snapinassociation -IDofObject $_.id;
    }

That should do the trick.

• Senior Developer

Probably the best to ask about the API is @JJ-Fullmer

Users

Topics