Site Plugin

• Developer

Hi!!!

I am developing a new plugin, after AccessControl plugin, now Site plugin :)
    With AccessControl Plugin we can control the access to the items of the webUI using roles. Now, with the Site Plugin we can control the access to the hosts by user using his physical location.

Site is not Location :)

With Location plugin we can manage the storage nodes from the hosts will download the images, snapins, … With Site plugin we can have more granularity, we can define as Sites as we need (IT room, labs, …) and associate the host to these sites. We can associate one user to one or more sites, in this way, the user only will see the hosts which are in his sites and not the others.

4_1491923234514_sitePlugin5.png

3_1491923234514_sitePlugin4.png

2_1491923234514_sitePlugin3.png

1_1491923234514_sitePlugin2.png

0_1491923234513_sitePlugin1.png

• Senior Developer

@Fernando-Gietz

I feel I should add, I’ve modified the plugin a little bit to enable the “common” look and feel of other “membership” elements.

Site plugin originally only allowed removing hosts, but had no way to associate hosts “en-mass”. This is now corrected for in dev-branch as well.

• Developer

Well I have finished the beta version, you can test it from the last RC version (1.4.0-RC12).

What does the site plugin do?
    The site plugin allows you to restrict/control the access and the searches of hosts to one or more sites. When you associate one user to a site, this user only can see the hosts which are linked/located to this site. This plugin restricts the access to hosts in the task menu too, the user only can see the tasks of his hosts.

Brief operation instructions

1. Install the plugin
    2. Go to Site Manager Menu
    3. Create a New Site
      3.1) Enter the site name and his description
    4. Link the hosts to the site. You can do it from the host menu or from group menu
      4.1) From host menu: Enter in the host General tab and select the site from “Associate Host to a site” dropbox
      4.2) From group menu: with this option you can link multiple hosts to one site. Go to the “Site Association” tab and select the site from the dropbox.
    5. Link users to one site
      5.1) Go to Site Manager menu.
      5.2) Search or list the Sites. Choose the site.
      5.3) Go to membership tab
      5.4) Check the checkbox to show the user list
      5.5) Select the users which you want to link to the Site
      5.6) click the “Add User to Site” button
    6. Restrict the access to the users
      6.1) Go to User Menu
      6.2) Search the user and select it. In the list you can see the sites that are inked to the user and if is a restrinc user.
      6.3) Go to General tab
      6.4) If you want to restrict the user, check the “Is restricted user” checkbox
      6.5) Click “Update” button

• Developer

@Wayne-Workman said in Site Plugin:

@Fernando-Gietz Ok then - but perhaps a different name then? How about “Site Control” similarly named after “Access Control”.

Yes, is a good idea. I need change somethings in the code … rename all clases XD

@Fernando-Gietz Ok then - but perhaps a different name then? How about “Site Control” similarly named after “Access Control”.

• Developer

@Wayne-Workman I agree with you, and it is a little confusing.

But the philosophy of Location plugin is different.
    From https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=Location_Plugin:

The location plugin is for use in multi-node fog setups that have a large distance or limited amount of bandwidth between each node’s network. The location plugin allows you to restrict a host’s storage node selection when imaging or other tasks occur.

At first I tried to use Location plugin to do the filters in the searches, and worked well but the Locations have limitations. The big one is that you can only define one location per storage node :) And I need more granularity. In my case I have one storage node to manage 7000 hosts in 50 buildings with 60 technicians. I don’t need the Location plugin but I need the Site plugin.

We could extend the scope of Location plugin and rewrite the plugin ;)

I think this is only going to confuse people. We have the location plugin, now site plugin. These words are synonyms. Why couldn’t the location plugin’s functionality be extended?

• Developer

Very nice addition! well done!

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.