Password protected FOG PXE menu.

• Server
    • FOG Version: 1.3.4
    Client
    • Service Version:
    Description

Good day,
    I’ve come to you with probably the last problem I have till succesful FOG deployment a integration in our university network.

Everything seems to run just fine, will need to only increase the size of /images repository from current 70 GB to 1 TB. But my boss requested, if it is possible, to password protect entry into FOG menu and it’s utilities, so that we - IT, with proper password knowledge - can use FOG to our hearts content, but to keep everyone else outside, so that especially smart-ass students won’t be able to do any kind of unwanted damage (like erasing whole drive through GParted). Sure, I’ve read something, but I am not really sure how to approach this.

Also I would like it so that automated / scheduled operations won’t be affected by this password protection, and - if possible - I would like some easy way to this off.

Any ideas where / how to start?

Have found quite similiar topic here: https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/8780/want-to-skip-booting-press-escape-to-access-the-menu/20 but it is not exactly what I want…

Idea is; iPXE boot => login / password request => FOG Menu.

Thank you!

• @Wayne-Workman Thank you, that’s exactly what I needed! Problem solved.

@HaRD If you enable hiding the boot menu, this will require entering a key-combination during the “Hide Menu Timeout” window - it will display on-screen something like “Enter key combo for menu”. Once you enter the key combo, you then must authenticate with a valid FOG web-interface user in order to get to the boot menu. This does not affect scheduled/automated operations. See the below picture:
    0_1489686338201_Hide boot menu.png

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.