Change the MySQL Password

• I want to explicitly document changing the password for root for MySQL without needing to re-run the installer as the Wiki suggests.

mysql_secure_installation

Enter current password for root:	<enter>
    Set root password?			y
    New password:				<new password>
    Remove anonymous users?			y
    Disallow root login remotely?		y
    Remove test database and access to it?	y
    Reload privilege tables now?		y

Then we need to change everywhere FOG references the old password without rerunning the installer.

sed -i.bak "s|snmysqlpass='<oldpassword>'|snmysqlpass='<newpassword>'|g" /opt/fog/.fogsettings
    sed -i.bak "s|DATABASE_PASSWORD', \"<oldpassword>\"|DATABASE_PASSWORD', \"<newpassword>\"|g" /var/www/html/fog/lib/fog/config.class.php
    reboot

I’m working on that second sed command’s escape sequence just now. EDIT - completed

Is there anywhere else that needs to be changed? The purpose of this is to avoid re-running the installer just for the sake of a changed MySQL password.

• The entire process is the initial post. It’s been edited and indicated.

• @sudburr cam you post the whole thing now?

Also, can we solve this?

• @Tom-Elliott But that’s two steps; I’m aiming for a single step, direct solution.

And I have it now

sed -i.bak "s|DATABASE_PASSWORD', \"<oldpassword>\"|DATABASE_PASSWORD', \"<newpassword>\"|g" /var/www/html/fog/lib/fog/config.class.php

• Senior Developer

@sudburr You could try:

escapeshellarg($yourpassword);

Then when you call it you would simply use single quotes where needed.

For example:

<?php
    $somepass = escapeshellarg('"\'helloworld!@@#$%^&*()\'"');

• @sudburr would it be easier to write a php script to do it?

• Changing the MySQL root password is contained in the command:

mysql_secure_installation

I’m still trying to figure out how to escape the replacement strings, since it contains both single quotes ( ’ ) and double quotes ( " ).

DATABASE_PASSWORD', "<oldnewpassword>"

sed -i.bak 's|DATABASE_PASSWORD', "<oldpassword>"|DATABASE_PASSWORD', "<newpassword>")|g' /var/www/html/fog/lib/fog/config.class.php

• Thought I might get to answer something on here for once! What Wayne said though is all I had to say :)

Don’t forget the MYSql call was going to be my one major point to not forget.

-Dustin

• @sudburr I think those two text spots are it. Nodes do not use the root pass so no changes there.

Of course, you must issue a MYSQL command to change the password. That’s in the Troubleshoot MYSQL article for quick reference.

Users

Topics