Windows install ISO FOG server 1.3

• @Wayne-Workman thx! My paths are very different,

kernel winpe/wimboot
    initrd winpe/${arch}/media/Boot/BCD BCD
    initrd winpe/${arch}/media/Boot/boot.sdi boot.sdi
    initrd winpe/${arch}/media/sources/boot.wim boot.wim
    boot

but I will test it now.

• Following instructions on http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe , here are my modifications.

In order to transfer all of the files created from those instructions here: C:\temp\winpe\ I zipped that folder, and I placed the resulting file winpe.zip into my desktop’s C:\Users\Wayne directory.

Then used FTP via command prompt to place it into the correct directory on the FOG Server.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\workman.wayne>ftp
    ftp> open 10.2.1.11
    Connected to 10.2.1.11.
    220 (vsFTPd 3.0.2)
    User (10.2.1.11:(none)): fog
    331 Please specify the password.
    Password:
    230 Login successful.
    ftp> ls
    200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    150 Here comes the directory listing.
    226 Directory send OK.
    ftp> cd /var/www/html/fog/service/ipxe
    250 Directory successfully changed.
    ftp> put winpe.zip
    200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    150 Ok to send data.
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 279864968 bytes sent in 4.20Seconds 66571.12Kbytes/sec.
    ftp>

After transfering that zip file, you would unzip it with the unzip command:
    unzip winpe.zip

Where the instructions say “Download the latest version of wimboot and extract the file wimboot to the same directory on your web server.”

I used wget on the fog server, when I was already inside of /var/www/html/fog/service/ipxe.

wget http://git.ipxe.org/releases/wimboot/wimboot-latest.zip
    You need unzip installed to unzip the directory.

Once unzipped, it creates a folder called wimboot.123. Go into this folder and just move all it’s contents to the winpe folder like this:

mv * ../winpe

Finally, the folder that was named amd64 in there, you have to change it’s name to x86_64 because that’s what FOG’s iPXE ${arch} variable will return for 64 bit machines.

To do that:
    mv amd64 x86_64

then, here is the new menu entry:

kernel winpe/wimboot
    initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/bcd BCD
    initrd winpe/${arch}/ISO/boot/boot.sdi boot.sdi
    initrd -n boot.wim winpe/${arch}/winpe.wim boot.wim
    boot

Note I had to add winpe/ to all the paths.

Here’s a screenshot:

0_1457019625500_upload-b9452722-2782-41ae-8ded-99c0b12d491c

• @raice Yes I’ve got them, and there are some other steps too. I’ll write up the post now.

• @Wayne-Workman Created a WindowsPE and added it to de apache server dir. Now I’m running onto the same problem. I don’t know how to add this to the boot menu. documentation says: add it through “Create New iPXE Menu Entry” But I still don’t know the parameters. Do you know them. I maybe can help you out with the UEFI drive. When I am able to test it

• I got it working

instructions coming shortly.

• @raice I’m working on this too, I’ve been having difficulties making a UEFI bootable external drive with a GPT layout with the Windows 10 installer on it.

So I’m going to give this a shot. But, please keep working on your own as well. I’m just letting you know.

• @Wayne-Workman Thanks Wayne, I will try and figure it out. It will be no problem documenting it, because we also need that for ourselves someone needs to take over.

• The best way to do what you want is with Windows PE, with FOG. There have been some people here that have succeeded, the generalized instructions can be found on iPXE’s site.

http://ipxe.org/howto/winpe

You’d use that to install Windows, I believe. Once you get WinPE to run initially, any configurations you need like an answer file should be trivial and just a matter of configuring.

We don’t have a wiki article on this process yet, but if you get it working, please, give back by donating some documentation. You don’t have to worry about making it pretty, I’ll do that.

Users

Topics