Cannot Get Capture To Work (New Server)



  • I’m super new (be gentle) and want to use Fog as my company’s main imaging platform but I can’t get the system to work. I’ve built the server, setup the image store but I can’t get the server to capture the image. Attached are pictures of the errors I’m getting…

    If I can’t figure this out pronto I’m going to have to abandon the platform so please help!

    http://imgur.com/Fer8UMV
    http://imgur.com/grNNXCh
    http://imgur.com/5Adoza2


  • Moderator

    @nbuursma said:

    Got it, okay first thing that fails is
    Attempting to check in… Failed

    Then screen is filled with complete GARBAGE

    Can you get us a picture?

    How is it that it fails on check in, when before it failed at the very end? What changed?



  • @Wayne-Workman said:

    @nbuursma said:

    Okay I dont know how to do this debug capture at all…

    When you’re on the confirmation page for creating an image task, it’s just a little check box before you confirm the task creation. This is how it works in FOG Trunk anyways.

    After your host boots up to the network for a debug upload/download you can issue the fog command to initiate the imaging task. You’d then slowly [enter] through each step.

    Got it, okay first thing that fails is
    Attempting to check in… Failed

    Then screen is filled with complete GARBAGE


  • Moderator

    @nbuursma said:

    Okay I dont know how to do this debug capture at all…

    When you’re on the confirmation page for creating an image task, it’s just a little check box before you confirm the task creation. This is how it works in FOG Trunk anyways.

    After your host boots up to the network for a debug upload/download you can issue the fog command to initiate the imaging task. You’d then slowly [enter] through each step.



  • @Wayne-Workman said:

    @nbuursma Do you know how to do a debug upload?

    It’d allow you to step through the imaging process - and when the error happens, you’ll have time to take a good-looking photo with a camera and upload here for us to see. You might find some other errors too that you didn’t notice before.

    Okay I dont know how to do this debug capture at all…



  • @Wayne-Workman said:

    @nbuursma Do you know how to do a debug upload?

    It’d allow you to step through the imaging process - and when the error happens, you’ll have time to take a good-looking photo with a camera and upload here for us to see. You might find some other errors too that you didn’t notice before.

    I’m kicking one off now… its so weird, it literally goes through the entire capture process and then fails at updating the database.

    I’ll update this more info after the debug capture.


  • Moderator

    @nbuursma Do you know how to do a debug upload?

    It’d allow you to step through the imaging process - and when the error happens, you’ll have time to take a good-looking photo with a camera and upload here for us to see. You might find some other errors too that you didn’t notice before.



  • @george1421 said:

    @Tom-Elliott Interesting. Then if we look at this picture http://imgur.com/QnoooBh can we tell if sda or sdb is thowing the error. Its not quite clear. Its coming up with an unterminated string. According to the output of lsblk it should be working no problem.

    Okay guys, I got pretty far on my own…

    I figured the small SSD was the issue so I logged into windows - > disk management -> formatted it
    Then I updated the host on the fog server so Host Primary Disk = /dev/sda
    This seems to work, the partclone actually images the hard drive re-sizing as it goes… it still failed though at the end when it was updating the database.


  • Moderator

    @Tom-Elliott Interesting. Then if we look at this picture http://imgur.com/QnoooBh can we tell if sda or sdb is thowing the error. Its not quite clear. Its coming up with an unterminated string. According to the output of lsblk it should be working no problem.


  • Senior Developer

    @george1421 We get partitions based on the drive.

    If this is a resizable image, then it should get the first device found (/dev/sda in this case).


  • Moderator

    @Tom-Elliott His link to the image has this built in lenovo hard drive as /dev/sdb, where his main SATA SSD is /dev/sda. But who knows what format or partition table it has on this 14GB drive, let alone the reason why it is there truly there.


  • Senior Developer

    @george1421 depends on how it is seen in the system.

    If the SSD is the first drive, it may pose a problem.


  • Moderator

    @nbuursma OK, that is where lenovo is hiding all of that malware lol.

    I think that should be a question for the @Developers but the structure of the drives /dev/sda (etc) should not trow off FOG. But that 14GB empty hard drive might.



  • Oh! Okay… hmm… it appears that the x250s have a small SSD built into them perhaps?

    Would that not having any partitions on it throw off Fog?



  • @george1421 said:

    To acquire / steal a post from Sebastian.

    “Could you please run a debug session on this device (WebGUI -> Host -> Basic tasks -> Debug) and run lsblk from the command line of the target computer? What do you get?”

    We were also focused on the fog version (important to know). What device are you trying to capture (make and model). Does this have a traditional hard drive, ssd, or m.2 SSD drive?

    Okay I ran it:

    http://imgur.com/tVVvEj7



  • @george1421 said:

    To acquire / steal a post from Sebastian.

    “Could you please run a debug session on this device (WebGUI -> Host -> Basic tasks -> Debug) and run lsblk from the command line of the target computer? What do you get?”

    We were also focused on the fog version (important to know). What device are you trying to capture (make and model). Does this have a traditional hard drive, ssd, or m.2 SSD drive?

    I’ll run the task right now, as to the device - currently its a Lenovo X250 with a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB HDD


  • Moderator

    To acquire / steal a post from Sebastian.

    “Could you please run a debug session on this device (WebGUI -> Host -> Basic tasks -> Debug) and run lsblk from the command line of the target computer? What do you get?”

    We were also focused on the fog version (important to know). What device are you trying to capture (make and model). Does this have a traditional hard drive, ssd, or m.2 SSD drive?


  • Moderator

    OK now that you are at the latest release the devs can start to work on your issue.



  • @george1421 said:

    @nbuursma no worries here.

    Just change into the directory where you already ran the svn program and it downloaded the files to.

    SO assuming if you ran this command to initially download the svn trunk.
    svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeghost/code/trunk /opt/fog_trunk

    To upgrade to the latest release you need to do this

    cd /opt/fog_trunk
    svn up
    cd /opt/fog_trunk/bin
    ./installfog.sh
    
    

    Then just follow the installer script again. It should pick up your previous settings so you don’t need to answer them again. Once the installer is complete then refresh the fog management page and the number in the cloud should be updated. Just be aware that the git and svn numbers will be different so don’t worry about that what you need is the cloud number.

    Thank you guys, its running now…

    @george1421 said:

    @nbuursma no worries here.

    Just change into the directory where you already ran the svn program and it downloaded the files to.

    SO assuming if you ran this command to initially download the svn trunk.
    svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeghost/code/trunk /opt/fog_trunk

    To upgrade to the latest release you need to do this

    cd /opt/fog_trunk
    svn up
    cd /opt/fog_trunk/bin
    ./installfog.sh
    
    

    Then just follow the installer script again. It should pick up your previous settings so you don’t need to answer them again. Once the installer is complete then refresh the fog management page and the number in the cloud should be updated. Just be aware that the git and svn numbers will be different so don’t worry about that what you need is the cloud number.

    Well I’m updated and all my settings stayed - yay!

    0_1452778552949_Capture2.PNG

    But I’m getting the same error - but with more information maybe?

    http://imgur.com/QnoooBh

    Thoughts?


  • Moderator

    @nbuursma no worries here.

    Just change into the directory where you already ran the svn program and it downloaded the files to.

    SO assuming if you ran this command to initially download the svn trunk.
    svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/freeghost/code/trunk /opt/fog_trunk

    To upgrade to the latest release you need to do this

    cd /opt/fog_trunk
    svn up
    cd /opt/fog_trunk/bin
    ./installfog.sh
    
    

    Then just follow the installer script again. It should pick up your previous settings so you don’t need to answer them again. Once the installer is complete then refresh the fog management page and the number in the cloud should be updated. Just be aware that the git and svn numbers will be different so don’t worry about that what you need is the cloud number.


Log in to reply
 

482
Online

38962
Users

10707
Topics

101595
Posts

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.