Updates broke CentOS, can I fix it?

• Hi Guys,
    Since I have been using VMWare free, taking “snapshots” with a bunch of images takes ages and uses lots of space… Needless to say I don’t have a decent backup. ( Still prototyping but if I can fix it will save me lots of time)

I am running CentOS 7 in VMWare and let it apply updates, now VMWare just comes up with (Oh No! Something has gone wrong) I attached the log file.

I have removed the latest kernel following some guides online, and it didnt help, the old one doesnt start anyway, same issue.
    Any clues ?

0_1451434070390_vmware.log.zip

• Senior Developer

@Wayne-Workman its not just inside VMWare. I have had multiple physical servers with just CentOS 7 installed fail with this update.

• Is this only affecting CentOS 7 inside VMWare?

• Thanks Jbob!
    That’s a major stuff up by the CentOS people.

• Senior Developer

Assuming this is the same issue I have been seeing, CentOS 7 screwed up big time. My CentOS server just recently stopped being able to start after updating, and I have other people experiencing the same issue. This is the closest bug report I have been able to find: https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=9860

The fix I used was to append initcall_blacklist=clocksource_done_booting right after quiet on the grub boot menu. Once it successfully boots edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and permanently append that line to all of the boot entries that have a quiet.

If this does not work, you should still be able to recover your data by booting to a live ISO and mounting your disk.

Users

Topics