Printers not displaying right in list



  • I’m running buid 5020 and found that the printers don’t show up correctly in the list. My .inf files are stored on a server share. For example, we’ll use //server/share/printer.inf.

    When I add the printer, its added like the address above. When I save it, it changes to /server/share/printer.inf.

    If I change it to ///server/share/printer.inf it will show correctly in the list of printers.

    However, if you search for the printer instead of listing all printers and scrolling, its shows all three ///. It appears that its just a visual issue but doesn’t happen on all the printers, only some. I’ve had to go through all nearly 300 printers and ensure its typed correctly. can be a bit confusing.

    I was running build an earlier build from a month ago but upgraded to see if it would fix the issue. It didn’t so the bug is still there, at least for me. Its something I can avoid since I know its there, but a bug is a bug.

    It also appears that clicking Update Printer or Add Printer removes one / each time.



  • @Tom-Elliott said:

    @Scott-B You will have to update the information so the values get properly updated.

    I’m adding proper code to check for these things now and what you’re seeing is the old double addslashes methodology.

    I assure you it will work. There will be some work on your part, but once it’s done I assure you it will work.

    Thanks for your help. Any idea why when the printers are assigned to a host they end up reverting back to the extra \\\ ?



  • @Tom-Elliott said:

    @Scott-B You will have to update the information so the values get properly updated.

    I’m adding proper code to check for these things now and what you’re seeing is the old double addslashes methodology.

    I assure you it will work. There will be some work on your part, but once it’s done I assure you it will work.

    Thanks Tom. I can do anything necessary to get the printers to work correctly. I tried using the “//server/folder/print.inf” method @johnomaz posted, but when I do so I get a message saying “printer updated”, but then it just goes back to the old value.


  • Senior Developer

    @Scott-B You will have to update the information so the values get properly updated.

    I’m adding proper code to check for these things now and what you’re seeing is the old double addslashes methodology.

    I assure you it will work. There will be some work on your part, but once it’s done I assure you it will work.



  • I’m still having the same issue, currently SVN 5207.

    OverlySlashy.PNG


  • Senior Developer

    I’m solving this thread as the issue has been addressed two fold. First, when the data is stored it adds then strips slashes and I do the same for how it gets output.

    I’m sure there may be a nicer way and printers that stored improperly will still need to be fixed but the problem this is focusing on can, I think, safely be solved.


  • Senior Developer

    I'm not so certain that this is really a bug.
    I don't know of a good way to handle slashes in php.
    Not that there are not methods, but the slashes we need are being escaped improperly.
    The way php handles backslashes is they're "escape" characters.
    This means that to display a single slash followed by a common key sequence 
    (for example backslash n \n equates to a new line.
    But what if you wanted a printer named \\novemberrain\terrible  it will replace 
    the \t with a tab and the \n in our case is escaped so it would display as \novemberrainerrible
    

    Javascript has this issue as well which is why I ran the other comments in a code phrase.


  • Moderator

    Moved to bug reports.


Log in to reply
 

339
Online

39.3k
Users

11.0k
Topics

104.4k
Posts

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.