Move partitions on GPT layouts - need people to test

@jj-fullmer said in Move partition in GPT layout - need people to test:

So just to be clear, I need to create the image from a new VM or physical machine that has a larger drive? i.e. expand the drive to something like 256 or 512 and then capture (where it will resize down to the usual 20ish GB or probably less for this test cause I’ll just install windows and that’s it) and then deploy to something with a 64 or 128 sized drive where it will resize.

That sounds like a reasonable test to me!

Why are people creating images from things with drives larger than what they are deploying to?

Probably because they use some hardware machine they have as master but don’t think about the disk size making a difference.

• Testers

@Sebastian-Roth I just re-read through this as I’m starting work on our 20H2 image.
    We actually purposely make our base image from a smaller disk already of around 64 GB and it usually shrinks down to around 20 GB when captured. Then we deploy to things with larger drives.

So just to be clear, I need to create the image from a new VM or physical machine that has a larger drive? i.e. expand the drive to something like 256 or 512 and then capture (where it will resize down to the usual 20ish GB or probably less for this test cause I’ll just install windows and that’s it) and then deploy to something with a 64 or 128 sized drive where it will resize.

Why are people creating images from things with drives larger than what they are deploying to?

Or is this testing a different type of image?

• Testers

@sebastian-roth I hope to be building our 20H2 image the start of next year. So I can do some testing along with that for sure on this then.

@testers Anyone of you still active in the forums?

Users

Topics