FOG 1.5.7 Update Database Issue

• Developer

@chaonatic Try to manually connect to the DB and see if that works: mysql -u root -p (just hit ENTER when it asks for a password if yours is empty)

As well you might want to read this one: https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/10006/ubuntu-is-fog-s-enemy

• @Sebastian-Roth Well we’re definitely closer. The installer doesn’t fail when installing the databases but when you get to updating the database I’m still getting the Database connection unavailable error. Is this something to do with the blank vs not blank password (I mean, I’ve not yet set a DB pass)?

• Developer

@chaonatic Well that might have fixed it. But I am still not sure how you got into this situation or if this is something every Ubuntu user will face sooner or later?! As far as I know we have not seen this issue in the forums before.

So now I’d suggest you run sudo apt-get install mariadb-server-10.1, then change the packages=.... line in /opt/fog/.fogsettings (got the name wrong last time) back to mariadb-client mariadb-server and re-run the FOG installer script.

Keeping my fingers crossed this is not something we’ll see on every Ubuntu update now. Still can’t really see what’s going on here and why this is happening.

• @Sebastian-Roth said in FOG 1.5.7 Update Database Issue:

What happens if you run sudo apt-get install mariadb-client-10.1??

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libevent-core-2.1-6 mysql-server-core-5.7
    Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following additional packages will be installed:
      libconfig-inifiles-perl libjemalloc1 mariadb-client-core-10.1 mariadb-common
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      mysql-client mysql-client-5.7 mysql-client-core-5.7 mysql-server mysql-server-5.7
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libconfig-inifiles-perl libjemalloc1 mariadb-client-10.1 mariadb-client-core-10.1 mariadb-common
    0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 5 to remove and 120 not upgraded.
    Need to get 10.5 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 44.0 MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 libconfig-inifiles-perl all 2.94-1 [40.4 kB]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe amd64 mariadb-common all 1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 [16.2 kB]
    Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe amd64 mariadb-client-core-10.1 amd64 1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 [4,745 kB]
    Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 libjemalloc1 amd64 3.6.0-11 [82.4 kB]
    Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe amd64 mariadb-client-10.1 amd64 1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 [5,646 kB]
    Fetched 10.5 MB in 3s (4,077 kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 114360 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing mysql-client (5.7.26-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Removing mysql-server (5.7.26-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Removing mysql-server-5.7 (5.7.26-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Removing mysql-client-5.7 (5.7.26-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Removing mysql-client-core-5.7 (5.7.26-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package libconfig-inifiles-perl.
    (Reading database ... 114235 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../libconfig-inifiles-perl_2.94-1_all.deb ...
    Unpacking libconfig-inifiles-perl (2.94-1) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package mariadb-common.
    Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-common_1%3a10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_all.deb ...
    Unpacking mariadb-common (1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package mariadb-client-core-10.1.
    Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-client-core-10.1_1%3a10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking mariadb-client-core-10.1 (1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package libjemalloc1.
    Preparing to unpack .../libjemalloc1_3.6.0-11_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking libjemalloc1 (3.6.0-11) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package mariadb-client-10.1.
    Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-client-10.1_1%3a10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking mariadb-client-10.1 (1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Setting up mariadb-common (1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Setting up libconfig-inifiles-perl (2.94-1) ...
    Setting up libjemalloc1 (3.6.0-11) ...
    Setting up mariadb-client-core-10.1 (1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Setting up mariadb-client-10.1 (1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...

@Sebastian-Roth said in FOG 1.5.7 Update Database Issue:

As well try sudo apt-get -f install - post output here.

Building dependency tree
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libevent-core-2.1-6 mysql-server-core-5.7
    Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 120 not upgraded.

• Developer

@chaonatic Ok, obviously I was totally on the wrong track. So you seem to have a different situation than what we saw in the other topic.

mariadb-client : Depends: mariadb-client-10.1 (>= 1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed

This error message is pretty interesting. I see that there are indeed two packages in Ubuntu one mariadb-client and one mariadb-client-10.1 - both the exact same version 10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1.

Doesn’t make sense to me. What happens if you run sudo apt-get install mariadb-client-10.1??

As well try sudo apt-get -f install - post output here.

• @Sebastian-Roth said in FOG 1.5.7 Update Database Issue:

@chaonatic Manually edit /opt/fog/.fogproject and change the line starting with packages=.... Make the parts with “mariadb…” to read like this: MariaDB-client MariaDB-server (yeah, upper case M …)

I don’t see the .fogproject file, only .fogsettings. I did attempt to change the two database entries in the settings file from mysql-client and mysql-server (note that they were generically named) to MariaDB-client and MariaDB-server but I got the same installation results. To be clear, I need to modify these entries prior to installing the update, right?

@george1421 said in FOG 1.5.7 Update Database Issue:

From the fog server linux command prompt what do you get when you key in sudo apt-get install mariadb-client?

I get the following:

Building dependency tree
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     mariadb-client : Depends: mariadb-client-10.1 (>= 1:10.1.40-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

If I try sudo apt-get install MariaDB-client I get:

Building dependency tree
    E: Unable to locate package MariaDB-client

• Developer

@chaonatic Manually edit /opt/fog/.fogproject and change the line starting with packages=.... Make the parts with “mariadb…” to read like this: MariaDB-client MariaDB-server (yeah, upper case M …)

If that doesn’t work we need the installer log that you find in the same directory where you run the installer - e.g. fogproject/bin/error_logs/...!

From the fog server linux command prompt what do you get when you key in sudo apt-get install mariadb-client?

@chaonatic said in FOG 1.5.7 Update Database Issue:

mariadb-client

If I remember right (I should look it up), but I think the repo changed the case of the package to something like MariaDB-Client as well as for the server.

Edit: I found the post I was thinking about, but its related to centos and not ubuntu: https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/13470/cannot-upgrade-fog-1-5-4-to-1-5-6-maria-db-issue

Users

Topics