Wrong Image Size indicated in the image manager.

• @george1421 said in Wrong Image Size indicated in the image manager.:

Just for clarity the 12-17GB/m in the speed at which data is being written/captured to the local media. It really doesn’t indicate how much its data it moving.

I’m aware of this, no worries.
    The times indicated are correct as I deploy a 30GB machine in around 2 minutes.

So in my test I have deployed a dump of a disk indicated at 465GB on a 1TB disk.
    The image is deployed normally but instead of use the whole disk, a partition of 465GB has
    been created. (which is disk size of the source machine)

There is only 384GB of data.

So now I just tried the dump again from the 1TB disk.
    I did not see during the dump start that it would be done in RAW mode but I saw that the only present partition
    won’t be shunken, but I don’t know why.

Any idea?

Ps: Forget to write that used disks are SSD.

PPs: I’m wondering if the first partition is not seen as reserved partition

@processor said in Wrong Image Size indicated in the image manager.:

raw mode introduce very long time to dump, whereas I’m around 12GB/minute and 17GB/minute which is quite honest.

Just for clarity the 12-17GB/m in the speed at which data is being written/captured to the local media. It really doesn’t indicate how much its data it moving.

If you are cloning just data, 90GB data at 17GB/m should take about 5 minutes to complete regardless of the actual size of the disk that data resides on (assuming single disk resizable was selected for image capture). Single disk resizable doesn’t copy empty blocks, only disk blocks that contain data. In RAW mode, partclone has to copy all blocks because they are encrypted and don’t look empty even in single disk resizable.

• The data does not fill the entire disk.
    Captured machines have between 90GB and 390GB data inside.

I’ll recapture an image in few minutes. I’ll check about the raw mode but as far as I understand raw mode introduce very long time to dump, whereas I’m around 12GB/minute and 17GB/minute which is quite honest. (which means about 35 minutes for 390GB)

But may be something in W10 may cause this issue. Is there something to do before the capture on the host machine?

I guess two things here…

1. If you were to take one of these image captures and compare it to the actual computer, how does it compare? Is the 465GB the size of the hard drive (approximately) or the true size of the data on the disk? The numbers are suspiciously high and consistent for me based on my experience.
    2. If you were to recapture the image again, look at the partclone screen during image capture. What does the type say, maybe raw?

What I’m suspecting is that FOG is seeing the disk encrypted with bitlocker and since its encrypted it switches to raw mode because that is the only way it can copy an encrypted disk. We have seen in the past even if bitlocker is off, it really on and has encrypted partitions or free space.

Users

Topics