In case anybody goes digging through this, I thought I’d share my experiences.
We finally got around to our upgrade and performed these steps:
Used Server Management program Webmin to perform Filesystem backups of the /tftpboot, /var/www folders and our users home directory too, since some ssh settings and such were stored there(in a tar format). Also used it to export the mySQL database to a sql file.
Did a fresh Ubuntu 10.04 install on the SSD. Performed the steps for optimization listed here: [url]http://www.howtogeek.com/62761/how-to-tweak-your-ssd-in-ubuntu-for-better-performance/[/url]
Installed new 1tb hard drive and mounted as /images, outlined here: [url]http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Moving_your_images_directory/Adding_Storage_to_the_Images_directory[/url]
Switched back to original hard drive, remount 1tb drive and transferred image files. (This step could be performed so many ways that I’ll leave it to you)
Switched to new SSD again. Installed a fresh install of FOG. Once it’s finished, installed Webmin to restore filesystem backups of TFTPBOOT and VAR/WWW.
Then performed this command in terminal to restore MySQL database:
[CODE]sudo mysql fog < fog.sql[/CODE]
That assumes that your mySQL exported file was called fog.sql
All in all, the transition was smooth, after I learned the right order in which to import stuff. The performance of the website/system was noticeable as the system now booted in 6 seconds flat. This speed increase seemed to have caused an issue in tftpd-hpa (which is what drives the FOG tftp server), in that the service was trying to start before eth0 was ready (with an ip address) and would fail out. Manually starting the service showed that there were no problems. . This also seemed to be part of a bug that a newer version of tftpd-hpa has, as none of my other 10.04 servers have this issue.
It took me several hours of reading, but I finally figured out a fix (not sure if it’s a good fix, but it worked for me)
From the terminal:
[CODE]sudo nano /etc/init/tftpd-hpa.conf
Add this text after the line beginning with “author” (line 4 for me)
#take a nap so eth0 can wake up
and then finally, change the line beginning with “start on” (line 11 after you add the information above) to resemble this:
[CODE]start on (filesystem and net-device-up IFACE!=bond0.80)[/CODE]
After a reboot, run
To see if your service auto started. If so, you’re all set.
There is probably a better way to have transferred the information around, but I’m kind of new at this kind of stuff, this is just what worked for me. Hopefully it’s helpful to you.