"Could not open inode XXXXXX through the library..." Windows 10 Sysprep Capture

• Server
    • FOG Version: 1.3.5
    Client
    • Service Version:
    Description

I have been testing creating a Windows 10 Professional image to get a clean universal image that doesn’t include the provisioned Windows store and apps. I have an unattend.xml file that executes a setupcomplete.cmd, which executes a slmgr call and sets the FOG client to automatic start then reboots the machine. Using powershell I remove all provisioned windows apps (Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online) and installed windows apps (Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage), and sysprep the machine (virtualized as i intend to use the image for different hardware). I set the host to capture the image and it comes up with the following error regarding opening an inode (MAC/IPs removed):
    0_1491596187240_upload-1ab5e71c-4245-44c1-9d1a-a8d2f4395eb5
    There is no error from sysprep and the machine (without capture) boots and finishes install as it is supposed to. I haven’t been able to find much on this error, and was wondering what I can do to capture this image?

NOTE: This only occurs if I perform the aforementioned removal of windows apps.

• Hi,

going over Major Updates, Sysprepping and removing Appx is not a good idea.
    Clean Install from Current Versions ISO, do your stuff and then image.

FYI do not embed third party Antivirus in your Image, just stay with its Agent and deploy Antivirus after image deployment.
    Myself had never problems with the shutdown initated by the sysprep process.

Regards X23

• @foggerj I am getting the same type of message with one i am doing. I was able to capture the image without all the updates as a test, but when I fully updated windows, and all flash player updates and antivirus updates it fails. The last thing we did is run Disk Cleanup to remove the windows.old from the image. I then get the error “Could not open inode XXXXXXX through the library” I am in the process of rebuilding the image again and not running Disk Cleanup to see what happens.

• @x23piracy

I will be reviewing the link to your tutorial that @george1421 posted below, thank you for the input! We do not want users on the network using the windows store and seeing as Microsoft ‘locked down’ Windows 10 Pro in a push to get people on Enterprise, eliminating it from the base image became the decision. Your calculator implementation is a good idea. I also did not realize that the Windows 10 ‘shutdown’ isn’t the ideal state (thanks @george1421!) for capturing the sysprepped image.

• Hi,

do you let the sysprep process shutdown the machine?
    I would not recommend uninstalling the store and even the calculator app.

If you really want to get quit the new calculator install this:
    http://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

FYI the new calculator has a problem if you like to paste numbers with a dot inside, for example 38.500,50€

alt text

Without the dot:

alt text

Our employees needs that in the customers center. therefore i removed new calc and installed the windows 7 calculator to our images ;)

Removing the store may could give you problems with system, if you dont like your users to use it better lock it down with gpos:

alt text

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Store -> Turn off the Store application
    http://www.urtech.ca/2015/09/solved-how-to-disable-the-store-app-in-windows-10/

EDIT: Locking the store down or blocking store apps doesnt work in Win 10 Pro Edition anymore this only work with Enterprise. hmmpf

Regards X23

I think the disk is bad or going bad. Try on a different system with a different disk.

Our reference image has these packages removed and FOG captures the image just fine on single disk resizable.

@x23piracy just posted this tutorial this AM: https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/9877/windows-10-pro-oem-sysprep-imaging that may give you some guidance.

Also know that on win10 shutdown isn’t really a shutdown, rather its an enhanced sleep mode. You can’t manually shutdown win10 and successfully capture it. To capture it correctly you must have sysprep power off the device.

• Senior Developer

RAW is not the “fix”.

You’re doing something that’s pulling data out almost literally right before the disk is closed before reboot. I’d start by fixing that.

• Update: I was able to get the image to capture after changing the image setting from Single disk - Resizeable to Raw Image.
    Now I suppose my question is - what effect will this have on my image and its deployability?

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.