Cloning only installed files VS entire drive?

• @george1421

1. Boots to the black screen with the flashing white cursor
    2. Uh…unsure? Im an idiot apparently.
    3. Legacy
    4. legacy as well on the deployed system

@TTellez let see where you are at.

You captured the image from a larger disk as single disk resizable. Then you deployed it to a smaller disk. When the target computer rebooted it didn’t boot into windows it just sat at a black screen with a cursor. Do I understand that right?

If I do then I have these questions.

1. If you change the firmware so the hard drive is first in the boot order does it still do this?
    2. Is the image on the disk gpt or mbr?
    3. Is the image on the source disk UEFI or legacy (bios) based?
    4. The system you are deploying this reference image to, does it match the uefi/legacy settings of the source system?

• @Wayne-Workman 1.3.5 revision 6067

Morning!

• @TTellez said in Cloning only installed files VS entire drive?:

Once completed, the computer reboots to a black screen with a blinking white cursor and just sits there. Suggestions?

To help beyond here, we need basic information such as fog version.

• @george1421 it looks to me like its the MBR. When I created my image initially, I chose partition 1 and MBR only. I am guessing that is not correct. The hardware is all exactly the same, except for the hard drive in the new machine. I am guessing the MBR would have issue with that.

I tried to repair the MBR, but as I had to use an external cd/dvd reader, it isn’t detecting the drive for me to repair it.

• @george1421 perfect. I did that. And it worked…the imaging didn’t fail. HOWEVER. Once completed, the computer reboots to a black screen with a blinking white cursor and just sits there. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all your help George.

@TTellez said in Cloning only installed files VS entire drive?:

…but do it with “Single Disk - Resizable” chosen just as a test to see what it would do differently.

That is the right choice. Just make sure you are on FOG 1.3.5 (stable) since the developers put a ton of effort between 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 to get the resizeable bits working well for all disk formats.

FWIW: You have to capture it in the resizeable mode to get it to expand/contract correctly on the target machine.

• So, I decided to make a new deployment image. but do it with “Single Disk - Resizable” chosen just as a test to see what it would do differently.

Looks like the image is much smaller. So fingers crossed.

• I dont think that is possible as fog works by going block by block on a drive and doesnt care what data is stored there. There isnt a “fog file explorer,” that I know of.

If you do create a fresh image, either build it on a virtual machine with a 50gb hard drive or if that isnt possible, put in the smallest hard drive you can find and build it on that. You can always expand it later (not the other way around).

Users

Topics