Gzip: stdin: not in gzip format... error on ubuntu server 12.04

• Hi all…

First of all im new to Linux so im struggling with the most basic stuff, but i guess you need to start somewhere right?..

The error:

after downloading fog_0.32.tar.gz from sourceforge using wget I can’t seem to unpack it using tar with the command “tar -xzf fog_0.32.tar.gz”. I get the error:

Gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: error is not recoverable: exiting now

what i have:

I have a vmware set up where i have installed a ubuntu server 12.04.

What i have tried:

I tried starting the tar command with sudu - did nothing
    Tried to install updates with the command “sudo apt-get update” and then run the tar command- did nothing
    Tried to install Build essentials using the command “sudo apt-get install build-essential” and then run the tar command - did nothing

I have downloaded the same tar file from sourceforge onto my windows 7 and unpacked it with winrar which went OK

I have reinstalled my ubuntu server and tried the above- did nothing

I have been on the net for hours to find a solution but from what i can see the error can mean anything. but i really don’t see what im missing…

I need some help here… im at a loss…

And since i condsider this a learning experince please don’t give me workaround…atleast not without and explenation as to why its not working… else i won’t learn anything…

Thanks!!

Casper

• Just to help out my fellow Foggers (couldn’t help myself) who might have the same issues this is what i did.

The problem was indeed that i didn’t have have vmware tools installed… I stopped trying to get that installed from VMware and tried virtualbox instead where i found solution.

Allso i went from Ubuntu to Fedora so this works for fedora …

In order to to install the VirtualAdditions in Fedora i used this guide:

[url]http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-virtualbox-guest-additions-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/[/url]

i found though that i need to do this step again after i completed the guide:

[COLOR=#d8d8d8][COLOR=#0000ff][B]mkdir[/B] /media/VirtualBoxGuestAdditions [B]mount[/B] -r /dev/cdrom /media/VirtualBoxGuestAdditions[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#d8d8d8][COLOR=#000000]Remember to do “yum install bzip2” because it would be needed. I my have forgot the name but when you try and install VG it will complain and give you the correct name… [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#d8d8d8] [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#d8d8d8][COLOR=#000000]Hope this helped… [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#d8d8d8] [/COLOR]

• thanks for your help chad… im not going through any proxies…

I will try to retrive the tar.gx file in another way… ftp or something…

again thanks for your help!

most likely. if you are going through a proxy or web filter, you might try using ftp, https, or sneakernet.

• Hi Chad,

sorry for my late answer :) busy busy busy…

I tried the checksum thing and go ff911abc07ff6f714f21c2829192aeb so i guess I have a corrupt download right?

I just found the md5 hash info on the sourceforge download page. You have to click the cirlce with the [I]i [/I] in it to view details. the hash matches what I posted. You can check yours by doing
    [CODE]md5sum fog_0.32.tar.gz[/CODE] and see what you get.

for my download: md5sum = 45b323d4150690b9c1aa8288c33830c9 fog_0.32.tar.gz

just try to gunzip it, then untar it.

[CODE]gunzip fog_0.32.tar.gz[/CODE]

should give you fog_0.32.tar file

[CODE]tar xzvf fog_0.32.tar[/CODE]

should untar to the current working directory.

• atlast someone answers!! thank you :)

Im not that experinced with all this Linux stuff but as i see it there are no MD5…

I have tried to download the file againg but not without deleting the original first… I don’t know if Ubuntu does any thing “smart” if you want to download the same file again without deleting the one you downloaded before… do you know?

I must say thought that the download went pretty quick but i am on a company line with 50/50 Mbits and its only around 35-45 in size so… i did check the size because i did have the same concern you mention but i couldn’t see any real difference in filesize… i suspect it will never be spot on…

silly question, but did you try to download the file again. Maybe your tarball is corrupt. check the size and if a MD5 hash is provided on the download site, you can check that also.

• can no one help me?? it should be really easy and quick to recreate in a virtual box

• ok i don’t get why this isn’t working… not i have tried with Debian with everything as above and it did nothing. I even tried to do it like root and still the same error… christ…

• I get the same error with a fresh debian install…

• could it be because im using 64 bit ubuntu server?

• Im gonna try a Debian installation instead and see if that fairs better…

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.