TFTP issues, but fixable...?

• Hey guys,

I have a normal FOG build on a Ubuntu 12.04. It works AMAZING… until I reboot the Ubuntu box. I then get a TFTP Timeout… This is easily fixable by reinstalling FOG over itself. But I would like to fix the underlying problem.

Possible fixes?

1. Permission issue in TFTP dirs?
    2. I uninstalled Acronis PXE and TFTP servers from my 2003 box. Rebooted it, but is there something lingering?
    3. FOG just doesn’t work well with Ubuntu 12.04 LTR? (I have performed 0 (ZERO) updates)

Any ideas would be wonderful,
    Thanks in advance.

• [quote=“astrouga, post: 8526, member: 907”]BTW, the solution ullawolf1 suggested works really well:

"So tftpd-hpa starts “to early”. You can fix this by editing the /etc/rc.local and add the line

[CODE]/bin/sleep 30 && /etc/init.d/tftpd-hpa restart[/CODE]

to restart the daemon after 30 seconds."

The thread is here:
    [U][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0060e0][url]http://fogproject.org/forum/threads/tftp-stops-on-reboot-after-install.488/#post-5353[/url][/COLOR][/SIZE][/U]

[SIZE=2]astrouga[/SIZE][/quote]

Just wanted to add that I needed this fix on clean install of Debian 7.5 and fog 1.1.0 to get the TFTP server talking to my clients.

I think the Linux community is abandoning UpStart altogether and instead going to use Systemd. I know Ubuntu had hesitation, believing Upstart was a better system, but this problem goes to show you it had its flaws

Funny to read this now. This is the reason I switched from using a Ubuntu server install to a plain Debian install. Overall I’ve still been happier with Debian, but good to know this was nothing I broke.

• Glad it was helpful.

• Brilliant!! I was facing restoring my aging Ubuntu 10.04 image. Thanks astrouga!:)

This is not really a FOG issue, it’s an Ubuntu 12.04 issue in how they start the daemons before the interface has an IP bound to it.

• Senior Developer

Has anyone in this thread found this issue with 0.33b? Maybe I can append/sed the command into the installation so nobody has to worry about this!

• [quote=“astrouga, post: 8526, member: 907”]BTW, the solution ullawolf1 suggested works really well:

"So tftpd-hpa starts “to early”. You can fix this by editing the /etc/rc.local and add the line

The thread is here:
    [U][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0060e0][url]http://fogproject.org/forum/threads/tftp-stops-on-reboot-after-install.488/#post-5353[/url][/COLOR][/SIZE][/U]

Perfect Solution!!! worked great for me also!!

• This happens to us frequently. Create a launcher and set it to automatically run on after boot. Also, turning off the GUI seemed to help oddly.

The thread is here:

Sweet - added that now so I don’t need to remember. I get so deep into these things, then months later I totally forget what I did in the first place ;) I had to come back here again to check!

When things calm down a bit at work I’ll update the wiki some more. I’m midstream of updating the Ubuntu install articles and adding info for more versions.

• BTW, the solution ullawolf1 suggested works really well:

The thread is here:
    [U][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0060e0][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0060e0][url]http://fogproject.org/forum/threads/tftp-stops-on-reboot-after-install.488/#post-5353[/url][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/U]

[SIZE=2]astrouga[/SIZE]

• Where would you recommend it go in the wiki? Honestly, these days I come to the forums for assistance and never use the wiki.

-astrouga

• Did you try this and it didn’t work? That happened me too! But then I realised I am an imbecile and was typing: tftp-hpa instead of tftp[B]d[/B]-hpa!

So 12 hours later, I re-read this, typed it properly and I am back in action again! OMG what a wasted 12 hours of my life that was… ugh :( I tried everything, even casting a spell on the machine ;)

Thanks so much astrouga - I was ready to throw in the towel :) This would be really helpful in the wiki.

• [quote=“Ivan, post: 3889, member: 1277”]astrouga,

Thank You this fixed the problem[/quote]

Glad to help!

• astrouga,

Thank You this fixed the problem

• astrouga,

Thanks SO much for looking into this. I really had to get a server going, so I reloaded with 10.04. I’ll try this next time I load a 12 box.

Thanks again!

• Type this in a terminal window:
    [code]
    sudo stop tftpd-hpa
    sudo start tftpd-hpa
    [/code]
    Then try. Did it work?

Worked for me.

–astrouga

• [quote=“Robert Erbes, post: 3495, member: 827”]Hey guys,
    I have a normal FOG build on a Ubuntu 12.04. It works AMAZING… until I reboot the Ubuntu box. I then get a TFTP Timeout… This is easily fixable by reinstalling FOG over itself. But I would like to fix the underlying problem.
    [/quote]

I can confirm this. I have the same issue on 12.04. I assume something is not being added to a startup script. I’ve been reinstalling my server daily, so I had forgotten all about this issue. I’ll see if I can nail it down though. If someone knows the solutions, please share.

–astrouga

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.