Need help inserting drivers into bzImage

• Hi,

I need some help inserting drivers into the kernel in order to be able to image some of our computer models.

For example, we have Acer S461 models with a ATI Radeon video card. When I remove the card everything works. but with the card I get the snow screen.

I tried compiling a kernel according to the instructions on [url]http://fogproject.org/forum/threads/compiling-a-custom-kernel-for-acer-iconia-tab-copied-from-old-forums.216/[/url]

In xconfig I selected the ATI Radeon drivers. The resulting bzImage then does have a proper video display, but now I don’t have network and the hard drive is not recognized either.

Also I noticed that my custom bzImage is only 5 MB in size while the original one is 12 MB.

So my questions are:

1. why is my custom kernel so much smaller?

2. how can I create a kernel that is exactly the same as the original plus the additional drivers?

Thank you in advance,

Matthias

• [quote=“Matthias, post: 3326, member: 815”]Hi,

I need some help inserting drivers into the kernel in order to be able to image some of our computer models.

For example, we have Acer S461 models with a ATI Radeon video card. When I remove the card everything works. but with the card I get the snow screen.

I tried compiling a kernel according to the instructions on [url]http://fogproject.org/forum/threads/compiling-a-custom-kernel-for-acer-iconia-tab-copied-from-old-forums.216/[/url]

In xconfig I selected the ATI Radeon drivers. The resulting bzImage then does have a proper video display, but now I don’t have network and the hard drive is not recognized either.

Also I noticed that my custom bzImage is only 5 MB in size while the original one is 12 MB.

So my questions are:

1. why is my custom kernel so much smaller?

2. how can I create a kernel that is exactly the same as the original plus the additional drivers?

Thank you in advance,

Matthias[/quote]

I did some research, here are the answers:

1. my custom custom kernel was smaller because I used the kitchensink config file (fog_0.32/kernel/kitchensink.config)

2. with the fog_0.32/kernel/core.config file the resulting bzImage was 12 MB.

In xconfig I did the following changes:
    -deselect “Device Drivers - Graphics Support - AGPGART (AGP Support)”
    -select “Device Drivers - Graphics Support - Direct Rendering Manage - ATI Radeon”.
    -deselect the option under ATI Radeon for: “Enable modesetting on radeon by default - New Driver”.

That kernel now works with our Radeon cards.

Regards,

Matthias

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.