Have to rebuild FOGBOX, need advice.

• I initially started with Ubuntu 12.04 as the OS and then upgraded to 13.10. For whatever reason, it pooched my permissions on the OS and I think this might be the source of a lot of problems I’m having PXE booting. I have tried all the troubleshooting articles and still nothing fixed it, so when I went to reinstall the FOG software, I got errors saying I don’t have permissions to write to the OPT directory.

So I am going to break down and rebuild the machine again. What Ubuntu OS would you all recommend using? I know that 14.x is showing bugs with TFTP again, so I am not using it. Thanks for your suggestions.

@Tom-Elliott said:

now there is a bug plaguing fog and I’m failing to fix it at every angle. Help, a little help here now?

SVN revision 4168 is solid lol.

However, the latest is fine in my environment with 500ish hosts using the legacy client. So I say solid because I feel like it’s pretty solid.

Tom, I’m trying to boost your confidence man! ;-)

• Senior Developer

I must add, fog trunk and solid are relative. Right now there is a bug plaguing fog and I’m failing to fix it at every angle. Help, a little help here now?

• I agree with Wayne. Ditch Ubuntu if you can. Go for at least Debian 8.2 or my new fave, CentOS 7.1.

Moving from Ubuntu to Debian solved 2 big workaround headaches.

Moving from Debian to CentOS removed 4 more workarounds for me

Newer Ubuntu has known issues with MySQL for FOG 1.2.0, if you’re prepared to deal with that, I say go to Ubuntu 15. There’s a bit in the “Troubleshoot MySQL” article about the issue, but there are other issues too sometimes. Others might have a better answer than me… I’m a Red Hat kind of guy. The latest Fedora or latest CentOS with FOG Trunk are solid.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.