Unable to move and rename Images (NAS Implementation)

• Hello,
    I recently setup fog on our windows network, on a debian box. My fog images are being stored on an Iomega Storcenter NAS that supports NFS and FTP.

When imaging a host, everything goes fine until it tries to move and rename the image. The host spits out an error about being unable to move from /mnt/pools/A/A0/fog/dev to /mnt/pools/A/A0/fog. The .mntcheck files are present, there is a fog ftp account setup, and as far as I can tell the credentials are correct. The NAS runs pro ftpd 1.3.1 server. I have no problems connecting via ftp from my fog server to the NAS.

One thing that was interesting, I tried to rename the files manually from the fog server using the debian GUI (not the terminal). This process errors in Debian but when I leave the directory, and return to it the files are renamed. I know that I can manually rename and move the files, but I really do not want to do things this way. I’ve kinda of hit a wall. Thanks in advance!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• [S]see attached image.[/S] Well it failed to attach a file.

Anyway, mine looks like this:
    Host is set to Windows7.

Image Name: Windows 7
    <No Description>
    Storage Group: default
    ImageType: Multiple Partition Image - Single Disk.

Do not forget to run sysprep before you try to image.

• I’m having the same issue. What ‘Host OS’ do you have under host management ? Also, what ‘Image Type’ do you have under image management ?

I see this in some code which seems to be hard setting the image type to multiple partition, single disk for Windows 7.

fog_0.32\src\buildroot\package\customize\fog\scripts\bin\fog

[PHP]if [ “$osid” == “5” ]
    then
    imgType=“mps”;
    fi
    [/PHP]

• Adam’s Quote from edugeek: you can set the user ID in the NAS…(see screenshot)[ATTACH=full]75[/ATTACH]
    The umask for my share is: in fact the default… (0022) I will look into that next.

I imaged another machine and got the same message.

“unable to move /nfs/images/dev to /nfs/images”

Its strange because I can FTP with my ftp client and pass the command to move the files… there is no error there.

I have a feeling that if we keep poking around, we will finally have that “Ah HAH!” moment we have been waiting for.

[url="/_imported_xf_attachments/0/75_foguser.jpg?:"]foguser.jpg[/url]

• EDIT:
    I got it back again… apparently, I was attempting to mount to
    192.168.1.244:/mnt/pools/A/A0/images (images is my share on the NAS)

It Worked when I put it in like this:
    192.168.1.244:/nfs/images

Now: I had disabled FTP on my NAS while troubleshooting and I got the Failed to connect to FTP… so I enabled FTP and the message instantly changed…

Now, according to “Seperate NFS server tutorial” I have added an @ to the beggining of ftp on line 133 of /var/www/fog/service/Post_Stage2.php

Now I just have to wait for it to image another machine before I know for certain… Will post back

• This from edugeek:
    [I][SIZE=13px][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]“I think you would have to look for a umask setting on the NAS box, or look to try and match the owners id number with the id number for the FOG user on the server.” [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][SIZE=13px][COLOR=#333333]I don’t believe our NAS has a umask setting. Would you know how to track down the resource numbers?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Glad I could be of help, I just tried changing the storage ftp username domain\user, but that did not help me either, actually set me farther back…

Yeah I did not know what chroot is. For further communications, assume that you are talking to a linux noob (because I am).

• However, I am in the same boat as you know, failed to move the images out of the /dev/ directory.
    [B]“unable to move from /mnt/pools/A/A0/fog/dev to /mnt/pools/A/A0/fog”[/B]
    [B][/B]
    I Just noticed that when I log into terminal as fog on my fog-server, I am chrooted* to the /images/dev directory, this may be what we are looking for. I will dig around some more and post my findings.

[SIZE=2]*If you are not familiar, chrooted means that the user is “jailed” to the single directory (like a prisoner).[/SIZE]

• Not sure about if you would have to join your server to AD, but you can, I have a few linux servers joined to the domain… there are a few ways to do this, find the one that works best for you and your distro. [URL='http://linuxgazette.net/105/price.html’]Here’s an offsite link that shows you how to use samba to join the domain. [/URL](I joined my others to domain within WEBMIN)[URL=‘http://linuxgazette.net/105/price.html’][/URL][URL='http://linuxgazette.net/105/price.html’] [/URL] You should not need to re-install fog after this. It should not matter.[URL=‘http://linuxgazette.net/105/price.html’][/URL]

My Iomega Storcenter is NOT joined to the domain… It’s not necessary for me b/c I am using all of it for FOG.
    Thank you for your help! I was able to get it past the Unable to mount NFS share. (Think my task was still queued up and holding on to old settings.)

• Just a thought, Since my Iomega NAS syncs to my windows Active Directory to get it’s users list, do I need to join my fog server to Active Directory?

Currently it’s not joined to my domain. How do I go about joining it to the domain? Would I need to re-install FOG after this?

• joshua,

I edited the the default storage node definition in the webui. I set the IP to the IP of my NAS. I then set the image location to /mnt/pools/A/A0/[I]sharename[/I]. Because I am still hosting the TFTP files from the fog server I did not change the TFTP_HOST value. I did change STORAGE_HOST to the IP of the nas and edited the storage directories similar to above. Be sure that after you make these changes you remove any pxe files in the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg that are named by MAC addresses. Recreate both the image on the webui and remake the task.

I also synced my passwords to be the same. Everything is set to “fog” and then the same password. Including the one on the storage definition page. I also created a fog user on my NAS that has the same password. [url]http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=FOGUserGuide#Separate_NFS_Server[/url]
    Be sure you have the .mntcheck files as well.

The biggest thing for me is that I tried this before and it didn’t work, but it was using a pxe boot file that was generated before I made the changes. So it appeared as if I was getting nowhere. Once I deleted the old pxe file and recreated the task, I was able to image.

Still unable to rename or move them via FTP…

Cheers

• Check the config file as well as the webUI(under [B]Other Information[/B]>> [B]Fog Settings[/B])… and I would check the database just to be sure (but the webUI should update the DB when you save)

I would check to ensure all fog passwords have been updated to the password that you set manually.(TFTP and STORAGE_FTP_Password)

Adam: Can you please share with me how you got it as far as you did? I have tried everything. I too have a Iomega storcenter and have had a heck of a time trying to overcome the Fatal Error: failed to mount NFS share.

for TFTP_HOST do you use fog-server IP or StorCenter IP? or “STORAGE_HOST” ??
    Thanks

• If I’m able to upload files, can I rule out mismatched passwords?

Which passwords do I need to check?

• Yeah, when I ftp to my NAS with filezilla both the root folder and the dev folder are 777…

• ya i check already, plus in the default folder where the image are, I already put chmod -hR 777 /image, still it doesn’t work

• Have you checked that the Fog account has permission on the folders ? If it doesnt then this will happen

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.