Set dhcp reservations

• This should be simple. I have a totally, physically isolated network of machines. 1 fog server per environment. The fog server is the only DHCP server in the network. I want the fog server to be a normal DHCP server, which it should be already. I haven’t installed any extra software, and am trying to setup DHCP reservations.

I’ve edited the etc/dhcp/ dhcpd.conf, and at the end of it added the following text I found on the web, at the end of the file.

host Accountant {
    hardware ethernet 00:1F:6A:21:71:3F;
    fixed-address 10.0.0.101;
    }
    host Accountant2 {
    hardware ethernet 00:1F:6A:21:71:4F;
    fixed-address 10.0.0.102;
    }
    But it just hangs at the DHCP boot on a client.

Can I use the fog servers DHC server, or do I need to install dhcp3? I need 20 reservations in the fog server…

Can anyone help?

• Thank you for replying Vincent. The classroom is used for different courses, the need for reservations is due to the requirements of a particular class. Unfortunatley it’s the only way it can be done. The OS used in the course is a custom OS, and very basic, reservations are the only way we can use the same image, but guarantee different IP addresses per machine. Beleive me its a pain in the … I have no choice but to use reservations.
    Have you used the fog server as a main DHCP server and got reservations working, or do I need to install DHCP3, in which case is there a guide on how to disable Fog’s DHCP server and correctly configure DHCP3?

Thanks

why do you need reservations? if your fog is an isolated network the address shouldn’t matter

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.