Bugs in 1.1.2 that I've noticed



  • Hi

    Fog 1.1.2 is looking like an awesome improvement over 0.32 so far - which in itself was an awesome upgrade over Ghost Solution Suite :D

    Not sure if this has already been reported, however FYI…

    A) Renaming computers in the Host Management page usually doesn’t seem to save. Although other settings on that host/general page do save.

    B) I installed the Location plugin on 1.1.2 (previously not installed when I upgraded from 0.32) and whilst the Location page icons appears, none of the “New Search”, “List All Locations”, “Create New Location” pages display anything. (I’ve just edited the database location table manually with the required details and this does appear to actually work, so I can assign hosts to locations and then they TFTP boot the bzImage from the correct server then :))

    C) I don’t think Multicast is working at all - partimage just sits waiting. Not too worried as we mostly unicast anyway. (FYI on 0.32 Multicast was super slow/useless on 100Mbit workstations, but perfect on any Gigabit machines. Yet Ghost’s Multicast worked fine on the same machines. HP Procurve switches with IGMP filtering configured, etc.)


  • Senior Developer

    @netbootdisk, post: 32609, member: 5249 said:

    Hi

    Fog 1.1.2 is looking like an awesome improvement over 0.32 so far - which in itself was an awesome upgrade over Ghost Solution Suite :DThat was my overall goal, so I’m glad to make it a reality.
    @netbootdisk, post: 32609, member: 5249 said:

    Not sure if this has already been reported, however FYI…

    A) Renaming computers in the Host Management page usually doesn’t seem to save. Although other settings on that host/general page do save. Not to sound relentless, but what’s the exact usage that’s giving the problem. Are there any messages? I know when you update the host or any field it resets, but if you scroll the page to the top, it should show a “box” that displays “Host updated successful, host failed because of …, etc…” or some message of the sort. I believe there may be a bug here but don’t have a means to reproduce. I have no issues renaming.
    @netbootdisk, post: 32609, member: 5249 said:

    B) I installed the Location plugin on 1.1.2 (previously not installed when I upgraded from 0.32) and whilst the Location page icons appears, none of the “New Search”, “List All Locations”, “Create New Location” pages display anything. (I’ve just edited the database location table manually with the required details and this does appear to actually work, so I can assign hosts to locations and then they TFTP boot the bzImage from the correct server then :)) I don’t know what the exact issue is but I have a hunch it’s due to the way plugins were loading or trying to load. I know it’s fixed in SVN. Did you have to create the location table, or did the install of the plugin do that for you?
    @netbootdisk, post: 32609, member: 5249 said:
    C) I don’t think Multicast is working at all - partimage just sits waiting. Not too worried as we mostly unicast anyway. (FYI on 0.32 Multicast was super slow/useless on 100Mbit workstations, but perfect on any Gigabit machines. Yet Ghost’s Multicast worked fine on the same machines. HP Procurve switches with IGMP filtering configured, etc.)Multicast of partimage isn’t working? I don’t know and is totally possible. I do know it’s working for partclone. Have you checked that FOGMulticastManager service is actually running on the fog server? If you’d like you can PM me and maybe we can chat and I can help you find/fix this issue?



  • Also, documentation wise - unless I was blind/missed them elsewhere - the following Migration steps are missing from this page http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_to_1.0.0 /

    • Default AD settings & each Host’s Active Directory username setting now just needs to be USERNAME rather than DOMAIN\USERNAME. (This was easy enough to bulk update via SQL db edit)
    • By default, all ‘FOG Services’ were disabled by default. Then machines no longer automatically renamed & joined the domain after cloning. These FOG Services needed to be enabled globally under “Service Management”, then each Host’s config needed the service enabled too. I just added all machines to a temporary Group, then changed the Group’s Service settings to bulk modify all of them at once.
    • Also any PXELINUX.0 Menu hacks previously made under the PXE Advacned Menu will also need to be rejigged to the new iPXE menu format. eg: iPXE chainload back to a PXELINUX.0 menu

    Hopefully that will help others - it has been well worth the time to upgrade here :)


Log in to reply
 

450
Online

38716
Users

10544
Topics

99831
Posts

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.