Fog 1.1.0 will not deploy to Virtual Machine

• I am trying to test an image by deploying it to a VMWare ESXi 5.1 virtual machine, however the download of the image never starts.

This is what I see:

• Send method… NFS
    • Attempting to send inventory… Done
    • Checking In… Done
    • Mounting File System… Done
    • Checking Mounted File System… Done

*Starting Image Push
    *Using Image: [image name]

*Looking for Hard Disks… Done
    *Using Hard Disk: /dev/sda
    *Checking Hard Disks… Done
    *Changing Hostname… Done

*Updating Computer Database Status

*Database Updated!

*Task is completed, computer will now restart.

This all happens in about a second then the system reboots.
    I have run a client compatibility test which passes for both Network and Disk.

I am currently using svn r1763

The VM is setup with an IDE Hard Disk and a E1000 NIC.

Any ideas on what could be going on here or how to get it working for VMWare Virtual Machines?

• Developer

[quote=“Todd Humphries, post: 28684, member: 24418”]Jaymes, that was it! I deployed using the advanced ‘Download - Debug’ task and then ran fdisk to create an empty FAT32 partition. I then continued the download process and the image download started normally.

I’ve been using v.32 for several years and never had to create a partition prior to pushing out an image. Now I know. Thanks for the help.[/quote]

Hahaha, I was using a windows 95 disc letting it format a partition then yanking the disc… I knew there had to be a better way, in man all you are loading with the pxe is basically a slimmed down linux cli. Glad I could help someone!

• [quote=“Jaymes Driver, post: 28611, member: 3582”]Check your partitions, is this a disk that has previously been used? You need to at least have a partition on the disk to install too. FOG will add extra partitions that it need,s but without a formatted and partitioned disk for it to “store” to, it won’t find a disk and it won’t complete it’s task.

I use virtual machines frequently, this is a step I forget from time to time too, I have also provided a walkthrough on using the Debug deploy for creating partitions with FOG.[/quote]

Jaymes, that was it! I deployed using the advanced ‘Download - Debug’ task and then ran fdisk to create an empty FAT32 partition. I then continued the download process and the image download started normally.

I’ve been using v.32 for several years and never had to create a partition prior to pushing out an image. Now I know. Thanks for the help.

• Developer

Check your partitions, is this a disk that has previously been used? You need to at least have a partition on the disk to install too. FOG will add extra partitions that it need,s but without a formatted and partitioned disk for it to “store” to, it won’t find a disk and it won’t complete it’s task.

I use virtual machines frequently, this is a step I forget from time to time too, I have also provided a walkthrough on using the Debug deploy for creating partitions with FOG.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.