[SOLVED] PXE-E51 "No DHCP or DHCP Proxy Offers received"

• Hi Everybody,

I’m posting this as a problem and a solution. I hope it helps somebody:

I now have FOG working really well with most of my clients; however, I have one client that simply refuses to get an IP address from the DHCP server. It exits out with a PXE-E51 “No DHCP or DHCP Proxy Offers received” error.

I found this weird because the rest of the clients get an IP from the DHCP server no problem. The solution I found was something I knew nothing about before I researched it.

[URL=‘http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-ProLiant-Deployment/PXE-E51-quot-No-DHCP-or-DHCP-Proxy-Offers-received-quot-error/td-p/3057862#.UgKOmqLktz8’]The answer was HERE[/URL]

If you have manageable switch and you have Spanning-Tree enabled on it. You’ll need to enable Port-Fast (Cisco lingo) or Fast-Link (Netgear lingo) on each port that’s giving you trouble. It may be called something else on your switch, so it’s worth looking at your manual.

YMMV with this. I have no idea if it breaks anything else in the network but I haven’t noticed anything yet.

• Thanks for the info. That’s useful.

It won’t “break” anything else on the network, but it does leave you open to creating a loop and bringing the network down. Generally, you turn on port-fast, or set the ports to “edge” if you know they will also connect to an end point and not another switch.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.