Kitchensink, Custom Kernel, Kernel and so on who c an light me up?

• Hi,

iam actually try to inform my self about the kernel, making them selfs and so on.
    First of all i dont realize what kitchensink is?

Is it a own kernel?
    or is it a tool to create an own kernel?

Has someone some light information about that? any useful links or something?

Greetz X23

• Hi,

@chad-bisd, post: 12057, member: 18 said:

Do this and your questions should answer themselves.

assigned! ;)

Greetz X23

read the wiki guide on compiling a custom kernel. Then do it yourself on a virtual machine just so you can say you’ve done it. You don’t have to make a good working kernel first try, just getting familiar with the process goes a long way to understanding.

Do this and your questions should answer themselves.

• Hi,

very nice answer thank you @maltibelli :)
    Some additional questions:

[INDENT=1]1.) This Kitchensink thing is it similar like a busybox enabling this that and those option?[/INDENT]
    [INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
    [INDENT=1]2.) How should i know which drivers are in which KS Kernel enabled or not?[/INDENT]
    [INDENT=1] [/INDENT]
    [INDENT=1]3.) Lets say i have problems with the latest kernel 3.8.8 on some machines how to find[/INDENT]
    [INDENT=1]out which kernel is good by trying or is there something more cogently?[/INDENT]

Greetz X23

• Kitchensink is the configuration used to create the kernel.
    The kitchensink config has more options included (such as drivers) which will support more devices than the core kernel. (I use a kitchensink based kernel it to get Dell Optiplex 755’s working with FOG)
    Downside is the kernel is larger and may be slower.

FOG has an option to download a Kitchensink kernel in it’s UI. Or you could use the kitchensink.config to compile a new kernel.
    http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Building_a_Custom_Kernel

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.