Acer Veriton N2620G PC flashing like it's on an acid trip!

• Thanks for the help, man. I appriciate it, as this is the first time I’ve done anything like this.

I just followed the wiki for Ubuntu Desktop 11.10, with the following changes:
    [LIST=1]
    []downloaded linux-3.7.7.tar.gz from kernel.org
    [
    ]had to add g++ compiler to the system in addition to the libqt3 components mentioned in the wiki.
    [*]I ran the make commands from inside /usr/src/linux-3.7.7
    [/LIST]
    I ran ‘make xconfig’ and added in the .config and /proc/config.gz options and ran the ‘make bzImage’
    I’m going to play around with it a bit today and see if it works with my FOG setup.

• So about that kernel, do I follow the wiki walk through verbatim? Where does the 3.3.3 come in?

Unless you have older machines that still use an AGP based video system, you don’t need the AGPGart drivers. I’m talking like 2005 or before most video cards moved to PCI Express (even the built in ones)

• [quote=“chad-bisd, post: 10590, member: 18”]For me, it was removing the agpgart drivers and adding in the radeon drivers.[/quote]

But what if I needed both for different machines? Granted it’s a “what if” question. The majority of machines I use FOG on ([B]Acer Veriton N281G[/B]) seem to use the [B]Intel® NM10 Express Chipset[/B] with the [B]Intel® D425 integrated GFX core graphics solution[/B].

Currently trying to find the specs of the [B]Acer Veriton N2620G[/B] – machine in question.

Also, in reading through the walkthrough you mentioned: [url]http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Building_a_Custom_Kernel[/url] When it’s referring to the linux kernel, does it mean THE Linux kernel, or the 3.3.3 kernel in FOG.
    For the drivers, I’m guessing I’d have to find the Linux drivers, no?

• This post is deleted!

For me, it was removing the agpgart drivers and adding in the radeon drivers. I used the core.config rather than the kitchensink.config, and I had to remove the ndiswrapper stuff that gave errors during the compile.

Make note of your changes as you compile, so you can revert or try new combinations without wasting time.

• [quote=“chad-bisd, post: 10562, member: 18”]There is a relatively easy-to-follow article on the wiki for compiling your own kernel. The hardest part is knowing what drivers to include or remove. I got lucky and based on my experience and the documentation in the xconfig, I was able to get my kernel setup and working after a few tries. I had some compile errors, but a quick look on the internet showed that the failing modules were things I’d never use, so it was a no brainer to remove them.[/quote]

On that topic, could I just add the video drivers for this thing?? I’m guessing FOG can access the LAN as I see the splash page. It doesn’t start going all LSD till after I make a selection.

• Thanks that worked like a champ! Now onto trying to compile a kernel.

:confused:

try booting a machine to debug mode from the pxe boot menu or by creating a task in the webUI. You might be able to do a uname -r from the prompt.

• Is there a way to see what kernel I’m currently using? Like I said, I /think/ I recall having downloaded the 3.3.3 kernel. I just want to know what to go back to in case I mess up royally.

There is a relatively easy-to-follow article on the wiki for compiling your own kernel. The hardest part is knowing what drivers to include or remove. I got lucky and based on my experience and the documentation in the xconfig, I was able to get my kernel setup and working after a few tries. I had some compile errors, but a quick look on the internet showed that the failing modules were things I’d never use, so it was a no brainer to remove them.

• Shoot. I really don’t know where to even begin with that. I’m not a programmer at all. I can do some scripting but that’s about it.

Should I try to update to a new kernel? How can I tell what the current FOG kernel really is?

sounds like you have a video drive problem. You might want to take the .config file from the 3.3.3 kernel and use it as a base to compile a new kernel with drivers for your computer and remove drivers that might conflict.

Users

Topics