Clear block out of boundary

@saftkartoffel Looking through that link, some things come to mind.

1. The fog project is using the latest partclone so if there is a fix it should be in there, but based on your linked article its probably not.
    2. Something else popped out, is this disk using any type of encryption? In a typical system the efi partition is not encrypted but the OS partition will be. The efi partition loads the drivers needed to decrypt the OS disk.

First let me say I don’t know apple computers. But this system has been around for 5 years and it probably not running the latest OS. Have you ever been able to clone this type of computer before with FOG? My question is around is the problem computer specific, model specific or all apples are this way? I know other organizations clone apple computers with FOG, so what makes this computer that unique?

• crap I think it gotta do with the AFPS file format

https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/support-requests/98/?page=1

It is a known issues on partclone itself with AFPS file format.

• @george1421 well it kills my joy and hope after seeing the partclone part 😖

I guess i’ll try the structure check tomorrow
    Thank you for the advice george. I’ll update the results tommorow

@saftkartoffel said in Clear block out of boundary:

The setting in the fog web interface is a MacOS image, single disk all partition unresizeable. And compressed with zstd.
    My other concern is the fog server storage since it has around 860gigs available space where it capturing a whole 1tb of golden master drive

Ok you are already using non-resizable so its not at the point of calculating how to shrink the disk. I would run the structure check just to be sure.

As for disk size zstd will help here. Set your compression level to 11 if its not at least 11 this will help. If you use the standard compression ratio of 1.6 that 1TiB disk should fit onto the fog server at 625GB. Now that assumes your hard drive is 100% full of data with no free space. zstd should be able to compress better than 1.6:1 compression as well as I bet your 1TiB hard drive is not 100% full. So 800GB should be more than enough.

• @george1421 yes it does, I can access disk utility from recovery and run the first aid tool for the whole disk

@saftkartoffel If I understand the message partclone is at the point of trying to calculate how to shrink the disk before image capture. IMO it has detected a problem with the disk. It can’t say why but other than generate an error. So to my question does the mac OS have something like the linux fsck command to check and ensure the disk structure is OK?

If the shrinking of the partition is the problem you can try single disk non-resizable and it may get past this error but then you won’t be able to deploy this image to a computer with a smaller hard drive.

• @george1421 does your hypothesis implying the problem is a possible bad sector on the internal hard drive?

The golden master is 1tb guid partition scheme with main os formated in afps

The first successful partition to capture is the efi partition since it is only 200mb in size.

The setting in the fog web interface is a MacOS image, single disk all partition unresizeable. And compressed with zstd.

My other concern is the fog server storage since it has around 860gigs available space where it capturing a whole 1tb of golden master drive

Is there a disk structure check for the mac. It appears there is an issue with that partition.

• Here is the image
    alt text

Users

Topics