Linux Imaging and Fog Client

• Is there anyone out there who has had success with the FOG client on Linux?
    And had a very easy and comprehensive way to deploy Linux images and rename them/Join them to the domain post deployment?
    Please share working scripts if you have them.

• Developer

@jhumpf Have you tried the scripts? Can we mark this closed or do you need any further help with this?

• Indeed, I am currently working on unattended Ubuntu Server 18.04 installation:

1. deploying ubuntu server;
    2. updating hostname which is fetched from a local web service;
    3. changing password for a fixed user which is also fetched from a local web service;
    4. running installation script (apt-get install; pip install; and adjusting some unique per host configurations)

I am able to deploy ubuntu server, contact the local web service to generate hostnames and passwords using postdownload scripts, yet I am not able to change the password and the hostname, nor I am not able to do some final installations.

I assume that it is done by specifying the snapins, yet my /bin/bash snapin is queued, but not executed.

I’ve created a simple snapin

#!/bin/bash

echo "Snapin BLAH BLAH beginning installation" > %systemdrive%\fog_snapin_install_snapinname.log
    echo "test" > /home/user/test.txt
    echo "Snapin BLAH BLAH ending installation" > %systemdrive%\fog_snapin_install_snapinname.log

I believe by being able to finish my small project I would be able to showcase something also for Linux users.

EDIT: of course I have just noticed that in order to use snapins one must install fog client on the host machine.

So my question would rather be “How do you run a script after the first boot using the deployed host OS without installing FOG Client?”

• @jhumpf I don’t use the FOG client on Linux, but these are my scripts for CentOS 6:
    /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

#!/bin/sh
    #
    # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
    # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
    # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
    . root/ckhostname
    exit 0

/root/ckhostname:

#!/bin/sh
    network=/etc/sysconfig/network
    ipaddr=$(hostname -I)
    shostname=$(hostname)
    rhostname="$(dig +noall +answer +short -x $ipaddr)"
    rhostname=${rhostname%.}
    if [ "$rhostname" != "$shostname" ]; then
      sed -i "/^HOSTNAME=/s/=.*/=$rhostname/" "$network"
      hostname $rhostname
    fi

I plan to retire them as I’m migrating the hosts to CentOS 8.

hostname -I may not give you what you want depending on how your system is configured, instead you can try something like ip -4 -br addr|awk -F'[ /]+' '/UP/,$0=$3' or, more cautiously worded:

ip -4 -br addr | awk '$2=="UP" {sub(/\/.*/,"",$3); print $3}'

Users

Topics