DHCP works but no internet to clients

• @george1421 83d56c56-fa15-4639-9ac6-9ce6b61cb387-image.png I get that right after it gets done cloning. I recored that as a video its on my google drive https://drive.google.com/open?id=18fwBwbhZ34qPPnrlWwQA_EDyTevForsg I’ve got a couple guys on k-12 Technition suport group discord looking at with me too. (I found out about from the network admin at another school. I work at a college I’m trying to show my sysadmin we need to use FOG lol.)

@davidka said in DHCP works but no internet to clients:

…all signs are pointing to tftp but nothing I’ve tried has worked.) Its saving the images to /images/dev using the client MAC as the folder name.

If this is the case then its not a tftp issue. If the files are being created in /images/dev FOS Linux is running at this point. TFTP is only used to deliver iPXE (FOG Menu) to the target computer.

It just never finishes the process so it wont restore the images.

What error is it giving you at this point. The upload is done. Do you see an error regarding FTP? A screen shot of the error should help us decide where to look next.

• @george1421 Yes NAT got involved. lol.

now I’m having issues with capturing the images. all signs are pointing to tftp but nothing I’ve tried has worked.) Its saving the images to /images/dev using the client MAC as the folder name. It just never finishes the process so it wont restore the images.

@davidka said in DHCP works but no internet to clients:

had to setup routes through iptable

I guess I can say OK to that, but iptables shouldn’t be involved here unless you are doing NAT. But if you have it working, great.

• I got it figured out. had to setup routes through iptable etc. Thanks.

Ah I see what you are trying to do. What, do you think the fog server can be a router too?

The short answer is, YES you can do that.

You will need to update the dhcp server to tell to push the default route is the imaging network’s LAN interface on the fog server.

Then what you need to do is set a kernel parameter to allow forwarding between your network interfaces. I suggest that you google “linux kernel ip forwarding” to better understand what you are doing but the quick answer is this.
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    should return 0 so not forwarding.

echo 1> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    then
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    should return 1 so do IP forwarding.

To make it persistent (survive fog server reboots) you need to update /etc/sysctl.conf and add in as the last line net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 On a line by itself.

Lastly if you need to send data back to your imaging network from your business lan, you will need to create a static route in the default router for your business lan describing the imaging network IP address and how to get there via the Business LAN interface of your fog server.

Understand this request has nothing to do with fog, but more to do with using linux as a router and pure IP routing.

• Developer

@davidka Dual-NIC setups are advanced. You can make it work but it’s not something we support by default because every setup is somewhat different and it’s very hard to try and suite for all.

just for whatever reason its not serving the connection through the second NIC along with the DHCP.

Please explain what you mean by that. The config and information you posted seems ok so far.

Users

Topics