WOL Firmware Linux Kernel Breaks - Power pulled or boot to windows fixes

• @george1421 It’s not a WOL packet problem because the network card is shutdown (leds powered off)
    Can the fog client have any impact?

@Gael Hey one of the senior FOG developers just chatted with me on this issue. So we have a few more things to try here.

First of all on the 1.5.2 version of the fog server do the following.

cd /var/www/html/fog/service/ipxe`
    file bzImage

This will tell us the linux kernel version that was shipped with FOG 1.5.2

Now scp that file to the new fog server into the correct path. Power off (unplug) the target computer then pxe boot and image with the image you copied from the 1.5.2 version of the fog server.

See if the system responds differently?

The logic here is depending on the nic used, the linux kernel may load (patch) firmware onto the nic controller that would be persistent between system reboots, but would be erased after a power outage. With the different versions of the linux kernel its possible different firmware could be loaded causing the discrepancy.

Once all of the other things have been tested out (so we are not changing a bunch of things all at once), make sure the firmware (bios) is updated on the 3060 just in case that is causing the root of the issue.

@Gael Is it possible to power on both fog servers at the same time? Maybe move the older fog server’s IP address? With both on at the same time, copy the image directly from the old fog server to the new fog server over nfs?
    Like you I’m confused why the fog server would have any impact on windows unless the wol code on the new fog server is faulty for some reason. I still want to blame windows for some reason. When fog clones an image it doesn’t know anything (really) about the target OS. It only moves disk blocks from the fog server to the target computer. It doesn’t touch the target computer’s registry or drivers. After a power outage (really a reboot) there should be no trace that FOG was ever near the target computer. Also with both fog servers on you would have the chance to issue a wol from each server to compare the differences.

• @Sebastian-Roth I think I can say that I already did it because, at first, I thought that my updated master image was the problem. I recovered a copy of my Fog server before it was updated (and before my image was updated) from backup, then i deployed the image to a VM, then I captured it (without powering-on the image) with my Fog 1.5.7 server.

• Developer

@Gael said in Incomprehensible network adapter issue that goes out since the update to Fog 1.5.7:

(same image that is already running on the computer, also with faststartup disabled)

Can you please do me a favor?

1. Start up your 1.5.2 server and save a copy of that image to an external drive
    2. Shut down the 1.5.2 server
    3. Startup the 1.5.7 server rename the image and move that from the external drive in place
    4. Deploy using that image
    5. Test WOL

• @george1421 Hi, thank for answer but fast startup is already off in all my master image.

Also understand this exemple:

-> I take one of my Dell Optiplex 3060 computer, he is running ok, (faststartup is disabled), I shutdown windows and i see network card is keep on.
    -> I power on my Fog 1.5.2 server and ask it to deploy my master image (same image that is already running on the computer, also with faststartup disabled)
    Wol work computer was reimaged and I shutdown windows and see network card is keep on.
    -> Now I shutdown my Fog 1.5.2 server and I power on my Fog 1.5.7 server and ask it to deploy my master image (same image that is already running on the computer, also with faststartup disabled)
    Wol don’t work, i power on computer myself, computer was reimaged BUT when I shutdown windows I see network card is shutdown…
    ->Now I shutdown my Fog 1.5.7 server and I power on my Fog 1.5.2 server and ask it to deploy my master image (same image that is already running on the computer, also with faststartup disabled)
    Wol work computer was reimaged and I shutdown windows and see network card is keep on.

Like you, i don’t understand…

@Gael Well I’m going to tell you its windows. What you are describing is exactly what windows does. When you shutdown windows, its not really a power off (the same as when you removed the power cord). Its an enhanced sleep mode which windows disables wol. This is not the case when you remove the power. You should be able to test this by removing the fast start option in windows then it should power off the hardware correctly so you can boot via WOL.

I understand what you are saying about the FOG version upgrade seemed to have triggered this, but once FOS Linux exits its no longer in memory and doesn’t have an impact on the hardware.

So to start debugging this disable fast start in windows and see if that changes the way wol works for you. A quick google–fu for “windows 10 wol not working” will show you “its a thing” with win10.

Users

Topics