PXE boot menu order

• Re: Change menu boot order

I thought I had seen some options in the current version (1.5.5) to reorder the menu, but I’m not finding them. I found the thread above from about a year ago, with the suggestion that it’s not worth time/effort to implement, and explaining the difficulty when determining whether a host is registered or not, etc.

My ideal would be that first boot into FOG’s PXE menu would default to full host registration. Once registered, the next time it could default to booting to the drive (which is fine, since tasks preclude the menu, so if you requested an image deployment during registration, that would proceed).

Another idea I would like to see if possible is to update the BIOS/UEFI boot order when finished. That way, I could receive a new computer, set LAN as the first boot item, then restart. Type in my registration info, request deployment, and restart. Image the computer, restart, update the BIOS/UEFI. Connect to AD, run Snapins, restart as needed, finish.

• Developer

@ckasdf Please open the following URL in your browser and you should get some text code back. Please copy & paste all that text in the forums here.

http://172.17.207.144/fog/service/ipxe/boot.php?mac=50:7b:9d:43:e0:25

• @Sebastian-Roth I was able to capture it on video finally. :)

Video of the issue

• Developer

@ckasdf Please send us a picture of that or even better a video!

• One other question along this line of discussion: I’ve noticed when I choose “Boot from hard disk” in the FOG PXE menu, it goes to a black background, white text, with items that look similar to the regular menu, and a countdown timer that keeps looping 3,2,1,3,2,1… without actually booting to the drive. I can get a picture later, but have you seen that / know what the issue is?

Bump.

• Flash BIOS/firmware or change boot order?

I want to change boot order, but I understand it would be vendor specific. I brought it up, as I remember reading a thread where the BIOS was changing after deployment, and it was an undesired action for them, but in my situation, I’d want it to change. I’ll set that aside for now, though.

… fog.reginput and check Default Item there. …

Hey, this worked, thanks!

One other question along this line of discussion: I’ve noticed when I choose “Boot from hard disk” in the FOG PXE menu, it goes to a black background, white text, with items that look similar to the regular menu, and a countdown timer that keeps looping 3,2,1,3,2,1… without actually booting to the drive. I can get a picture later, but have you seen that / know what the issue is?

• Developer

@ckasdf said in PXE boot menu order:

update the BIOS/UEFI

What exactly do you mean by that? Flash BIOS/firmware or change boot order? Both things cannot be handled in general code for all hardware vendors so you’d have to implement that for your specific hardware.

My ideal would be that first boot into FOG’s PXE menu would default to full host registration

Go to the web UI -> FOG Configuration -> iPXE Menu Item Settings -> fog.reginput and check Default Item there. Unknown hosts will boot into registration as default then.

Users

Topics