MBR/GPT Tables step takes very long.

• First of all I would like to acknowledge how awesome this tool is for imaging and thank the developers for keeping this project alive.

I know similar posts exist, however, I have already tried Kernel 4.15.2, 4.17.00 and it is still taking a long time deleting the MBR/GPT Tables. Our imaging computer has an i7-8700k, 1TB Samsung 960 NVMe and a 10Gbps Card to a 10Gbps Unmanaged Switch.

We usually have to Mass Image the following computers and I will post their times (for MBR/GPT Table deletion), Imaging Time and Specs:

Model 1:
    i5 4th Gen
    4gb RAM
    500GB HDD
    Taking around 6 minutes and 30 Seconds.
    Imaging Speed it goes up to 6.50 GB/s

Model 2:
    i7 4th Gen
    8gb RAM
    1TB HDD
    Taking around 7 minutes and 40 Seconds.
    Imaging Speed it goes up to 10 GB/s

Model 3:
    i7 6th Gen
    8gb RAM
    128gb SSD
    Taking around 9 minutes and 40 Seconds.
    Imaging Speed it goes up to 11.50 GB/s

Model 4:
    i7 6th Gen
    8gb RAM
    256 SSD
    Taking around 6 Minutes 30 Seconds
    Imaging Speed goes up to 13 GB/s

I would like to know if there is anything else I might need to do to improve the speeds on that MBR/GPT Erasing.

Thank you again.

• Please mark this as solved.

I was replacing the Kernel here /var/www/fog/service/ipxe and it was suppose to be here /var/www/html/fog/service/ipxe.

Kernel 4.15.2 works if it’s installed in the right place. Sorry for wasting your time.

• @newlined Are you sure you’ve correctly tried kernel 4.15.2? Have you seen these steps: https://wiki.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php?title=Kernel_Update

• @newlined said in MBR/GPT Tables step takes very long.:

I have already tried Kernel 4.15.2, 4.17.00 and it is still taking a long time deleting the MBR/GPT Tables

• Senior Developer

The release notes for 1.5.4 show this is known about and a method to fix. The tables are not “stuck” just something is causing them to initialize very slow. Downgrade the kernels to 4.15.2 and this part will be back to normal.

Users

Topics