??Howto: Make image of Windows Server machine

• EDIT: Answered

[B]To Make an Image backup of a Windows Server 2003 Machine, you must select All Disks- Multiple Partitions and on the host page set it to Windows (Other).[/B]

Original Message:
    I was not able to successfully pull an image from our Windows servers.

Perhaps I am confused an not sure which option to select.

I tried single partition (XP) with no luck,
    Then I tried Multiple Partitions on single disk (that makes more sense)

Also, is it required to take the extra step like for Windows 7 machines?

Please help me understand what option will work for me.

Extra details: Dell Poweredge 2950 with Windows Server 2003.

• Update: After following your suggestion, I got a step farther.

It was able to detect the hard disks in PXE. I got passed my error.

[S]But now there is another error,[/S]
    [S]Error now says : *unable to move /images/dev/000c29769fc5 to images/2k3[/S]

This worked for me, the above issue was not encountered when I ran it on a real server. (Only the VM gave the error)

Thanks Bryce for the assistance… and thanks to everyone who helped FOG become the most awesome tool ever![S][/S]

• heres is my error. (See Attachement)[IMG]http://networkmedium.com/fogerror.JPG[/IMG]
    Apparently Windows (Other) is incorrect setting.
    Any suggestions?

Also, is it required that you fill in all fields in the for the Host: Like Host Kernel and Host Kernel Arguments?
    I was unsure and left those blank.

I will try again with each setting until I get it correct.
    Will post my results.

• Thank you for your speedy response, I will give that a go and let you know how it works out.

• Try Multiple Partitions - All Disks and on the host page set it to Windows (Other)… I’ve never collected from an installation of Windows Server, but I would guess that the issue is related to the host OS setting as the scripts to collect and deploy images will perform different functions that are OS version dependent.

• [quote=“BryceZ, post: 511, member: 2”]What do you mean by “not able to successfully pull an image”? At what point did the failure occur?[/quote]
    I installed FOG service on Windows server… I want to make a backup of this servers hard drive. Therefore I want to pull an image.

It happens after I PXE boot the Windows Server, It looks like it is about to start, then the error.

The error I get was basically informing me that the selected Image type is incorrect.
    So which image type do I choose for Windows Server 2003?

I can get more details, but not at the moment, but I can only take servers offline after hours.

[url="/_imported_xf_attachments/0/11_fogd.jpg?:"]fogd.jpg[/url]

• What do you mean by “not able to successfully pull an image”? At what point did the failure occur?

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.