Problems with using-fog-to-pxe-boot-into-your-favorite-installer

1. it was having problems in booting with /init and would crash to busybox, when i then downloaded the netboot kernel it worked like a charm.

2. i was scratching my head at this as well, but i could not for the life of me get nfs to work, i made a copy to /tftpboot/mswindows and it worked. i guess i did not read it was broken, but thanks for the info.

3. ok will have to try the win7 way

thanks for the quick response

Hey, I forked your question from the tutorial to avoid adding extra discussion in the thread (just trying to keep it clean). I’m going to create a document that references questions about the thread, because your feed back is important for when the wiki page is created.

So first of all thank you.

I’m interested because I setup each one, except where noted. I did test ubuntu installer as I documented it.

So I have a few questions for you .

1. Why didn’t you use vmlinuz and initrd from the installer disk? I know certain distros have a nfs based installer but ubuntu worked right out of the box. So I’m interested in why you had to use a different kernel.
    2. I’m a bit confused about nfs since that is a function of iPXE to transfer the files. I’m not sure why you needed to switch to tftp. When you switched to tftp you would have needed top copy the needed files from /images/os/mswindows/10-1607 to /tftpboot/mswindows/10-1607 since the different communication tools use different base directories.
    3. The win10 instructions are broken. Well they work to boot the recovery image, but the recovery image doesn’t have access to the wim files in the image. I need to get back to that thread, but the win7 process will work for remote installing win10. You need to boot into WinPE and then connect to the FOG server using cifs (windows SMB). And then execute the setup.exe from there.

Users

Topics