Will FOG work for my needs?

• At my work we use a Ghost/Ghostcast system with a bunch of NAS boxes and use CDs to load WinPE and an image through ghost off a NAS box.

Well, we hate Ghost and would like to find a replacement that actually works the majority of the time.

From what I can tell, FOG looks like the thing that would work the best, however the managment stuff has me a bit confused. FOG seems to be designed to manage a large network of systems that stick around for awhile. My need is only to make images, and push images to systems once, then they leave the network. I do not need or want to have to reg each unit on the network, as that would be a lot of wasted time in my workflow.

So before I spend a day setting this up, is it possible to use FOG just to; Network boot->MakeImage/RestoreImage, without any reg of MAC addresses or hostnames, etc?

[url]http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Plugins:_Capone[/url]
    and
    [url]http://www.fogproject.org/wiki/index.php/Capone[/url]

You tell it the DMI field to key on and which image to push based on that DMI value.

• [quote=“chad-bisd, post: 5533, member: 18”]Capone plugin maybe. Quick register + quick image.

You can also modify FOG if you know a bit of PHP and/or shell scripting. You can make it give you a list of images to choose from when you boot. It’s very customizable.[/quote]

The ghost server we had before would allow you to pick by make, then model. When it worked, it worked very well.

Going one step further, I noticed that FOG can pull systems details. If it could grab the model information, then automatically load the correct image, that would be ideal. I have no idea how to get started with that though.

Capone plugin maybe. Quick register + quick image.

You can also modify FOG if you know a bit of PHP and/or shell scripting. You can make it give you a list of images to choose from when you boot. It’s very customizable.

• At my workplace we have a similar setup.

I have been using FOG instead and it has been much nicer.

It only takes an extra minute to register a host - and the imaging through fog has been at least twice the speed of ghost in my testing. The time saved through the imaging process easily justifies the need to register a computer once in the FOG database.

This is just from my experience.
    I don’t plan on using ghost again.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.