OS drive SSD or SATA

• Hi All,

As the data moves between the “Stroge” node and the client, there seems little point in using a SSD instead of a normal hard disk as regards speed.

However, I was thinking of using a small, 60 GB SSD purely because it’s small and won’t take a drive bay.

Out of curiosity, am I correct? The imaging process will be no faster.

Thanks

• it’s all about network througput and storage fastness comparing to the network speed ;)
    would be interesting to see the deployment speed with a native 10gbit lan and ssd raid for storage :-p …and sure the client should have ssd too.

But i can tell you 1gbit lan and hdd in the storage node can easily deploy a 16gb image within 2 minutes to a system with ssd ;) i see it daily happen again and again hehe

@julianh A SSD for only the OS will not add much value making FOG go fast. The critical data path is from /images -> nfs -> network -> target computer.

• Hi all,

I don’t think I was clear. Sorry.

I’m going to have a seperate SSD Raid array for the images. but I was going to use a SSD as the OS drive, for no other reason than it’s not going to use a drive bay. I was just curios if it would make FOG run faster.

Thanks

I started doing some benchmarking on making fog go faster here: https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/10459/can-you-make-fog-imaging-go-fast
    Warning: that post has a ton of data in it as I tried to document each step

I ran out of extra time to work on it consistently. There are benchmarking numbers in there. If you have a single hdd disk in your fog server AND you are trying to deploy multiple unicast images to different computers at the same time a ssd in the fog server will help quite a bit.

For fog to go really fast you need 4 things.

1. Fast disk subsystem in fog server (helps greatly when sending out multiple simultaneous images at the same time)
    2. Fast network infrastructure
    3. Fast NFS configuration
    4. Fast target computer

Clients are usually the bottleneck, an SSD and faster CPU there helps a ton.

I don’t think an SSD on the FOG server will make a huge difference for top speed (depending on the state of the hard drive), but it may increase concurrency.

• Developer

@Julianh Quite often disk IO is a bottle neck. Therefore I suppose imaging will be faster on the SSD drive.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.