• Recent
    • Unsolved
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Search
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. rdr
    3. Posts
    R
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 3
    • Posts 13
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Wake-On-LAN via fog agent with brand new PC's

      Now I read the AI summary and got what I need:

      It stores one row for each address in the hostNetwork table.
      
      Limits of this method
      The sleeping host must run fog-agent. The server uses the sleeping host’s own last report to find its subnet. A host with the legacy FOG Client, or with no client, has no rows, so the relay cannot help it. The old path still runs for it.
      
      

      So If I populate the hostNetwork table for the hosts that I need manually, It will work. Thank you for the details.

      posted in General
      R
      rdr
    • RE: Wake-On-LAN via fog agent with brand new PC's

      @rdr I see what you mean now. I thought FOG server saves the last IP address to its database and use it to determine if the powered off host is on the same subnet. If it is using live ARP lookups via agents to determine the subnets/agents matching then I can not customize or hardcode it.

      posted in General
      R
      rdr
    • RE: Wake-On-LAN via fog agent with brand new PC's

      @rdr I see your point, but with “FOG_AGENT_WAKE_RELAY_ENABLED”, isn’t the FOG server requesting WOL, and the agent send WOL to the local network because the FOG server asked it? So the agent is not trying to be smart about doing things it does not know about, or I completely misunderstood how “FOG_AGENT_WAKE_RELAY_ENABLED” works 😄

      posted in General
      R
      rdr
    • RE: Wake-On-LAN via fog agent with brand new PC's

      @Tom-Elliott I think you mean “FOG_AGENT_WAKE_RELAY_ENABLED” setting. I already enabled it and it works as expected without any problems. But as I understand, it needs to know the IP addresses of the powered off hosts, so server can decide which alive fog agent it will use to relay WoL requests, am I right? This is OK and I tested, it works.

      What I am after is different from “FOG_AGENT_WAKE_RELAY_ENABLED”. Lets say I have PC lab with 100 hosts, I import MAC and Host name list into FOG server. Then install Windows on one of them, install all needed drivers and applications. Then I install FOG agent and approve it. Then capture image from this. Then create deployment tasks for the remaining 99 PC’s. Then I want to send Wake on LAN request via this alive agent to the remaining PC’s so without me powered them on one by one physically, they will power on remotely and start to deploy image. But as FOG server does not know their IP addresses, as they have no fog agent installed previously, is there a way to teach fog server their IP subnet?

      Hope it’s clear now 🙂

      Rahman

      posted in General
      R
      rdr
    • Wake-On-LAN via fog agent with brand new PC's

      Hi,

      I am testing/using FOG project to manage imaging of our 6 PC labs, ~400 PC’s. I confirmed that I can power on a PC via FOG server Web UI, if there is an PC with active FOG agent on that subnet and also if the powered of PC was checked-in with fog agent before. It is working as expected.

      What I wonder is, as I am just started to use FOG server and there is no fog agents on the PC’s, can I install fog agent to the PC that I will use to capture image, then somehow I instruct FOG server that the imported hosts are on the same network, so I can power on the PC’s without visiting all of them one by one?

      I hope I explained I am trying to achieve.

      Regards,

      Rahman

      posted in General
      R
      rdr
    • RE: FOG 1.6 with fog-agent 0.1.6, agent renames all PC's to the same golden image name when not using sysprep

      @Tom-Elliott Thank you, tested, confirmed it’s fixed.

      posted in FOG Problems
      R
      rdr
    • RE: FOG 1.6 with fog-agent 0.1.6, agent renames all PC's to the same golden image name when not using sysprep

      @Tom-Elliott updated, both problems fixed. Thank you. One other feedback about installer script. Every time I run it, it notifies about modified pxe files and about keeping modified versions, even though I did not touched or modified any of them:

      | next-server is already set to this FOG server (10.0.1.92).
       * Downloading iPXE binaries (v2.0.0-fog.8)....................OK
       * Kept your own copies of these iPXE files (not overwritten):
           secureboot/autoexec.ipxe
           secureboot/arm64-efi/autoexec.ipxe
           autoexec.ipxe
           arm64-efi/autoexec.ipxe
         Delete one to have FOG's version installed on the next run.
       * Configuring default iPXE file...............................OK
      

      If I delete the corresponding files and rerun the installer, it does not complain about my own copies. But if I rerun it without doing anything, it complains about pxe files again. Is this harmless or it will not download new pxe files even it should, as it thinks I modified them.

      BTW, is it OK that I am writing here? I can open separate topics here for each problem I encounter or I can open separate issues on Github.

      posted in FOG Problems
      R
      rdr
    • RE: FOG 1.6 with fog-agent 0.1.6, agent renames all PC's to the same golden image name when not using sysprep

      Also other small problems:

      1. FOG server WEb UI - > all hosts list does not show last check-in time, its empty for all hosts.

      2. Uploading new file to existing snapin and saving it (press update button) does not update “Snapin File (exists)” input value, a CTRL + SHIFT + R updates it with correct value.

      posted in FOG Problems
      R
      rdr
    • RE: FOG 1.6 with fog-agent 0.1.6, agent renames all PC's to the same golden image name when not using sysprep

      @Tom-Elliott Thanks for the quick update. I set desired version and waited about 1 hour, restarted multiple times but it did not auto updated the agents. As this is a test lab, I updated to the latest agent v. 0.1.9 on the source PC and recaptured an image. Then redeployed. It seems the problem is fixed. There was another problem with agent 0.1.6, even the computer name changed, fog agent was continuaously logging pending reboots for host name change. Version 0.1.9 also seems to fixed it. Here is health log sample from one of working PC’s:

      2026-09-14T13:41:42+03:00 service started
      2026-09-14T13:41:42+03:00 this state was made on another machine (a cloned or reimaged disk); generated a new key and enrolling as this machine
      2026-09-14T13:41:43+03:00 enrolled as host 1, certificate valid until 2027-09-14 10:41:44
      2026-09-14T13:41:43+03:00 facts: sending inventory=true software=39 directory=true printers=1 network=1
      2026-09-14T13:41:44+03:00 host 1 (LAB-01-001), server capabilities: [hostname taskreboot snapin software power autologout directory printers wake update]
      2026-09-14T13:41:44+03:00 hostname: unchanged (LAB-01-001)
      2026-09-14T13:41:46+03:00 snapin "Windows SSD TRIM" (task 8): ran, exit 1, outcome failed (At C:\ProgramData\FOG\agent\snapins\8\trim_ssd.ps1:101 char:68
      )
      2026-09-14T13:41:46+03:00 power: on-demand reboot accepted
      2026-09-14T13:41:46+03:00 update: deferred, a reboot is pending
      2026-09-14T13:41:46+03:00 reboot: applied (1 user(s) logged in, 60s warning (power: on-demand reboot), mode reboot)
      2026-09-14T13:42:48+03:00 service stopped
      2026-09-14T13:43:31+03:00 service started
      2026-09-14T13:43:31+03:00 host 1 (LAB-01-001), server capabilities: [hostname taskreboot snapin software power autologout directory printers wake update]
      2026-09-14T13:43:31+03:00 hostname: unchanged (LAB-01-001)
      2026-09-14T13:43:32+03:00 update: unchanged (already v0.1.9)
      2026-09-14T13:48:32+03:00 host 1 (LAB-01-001), server capabilities: [hostname taskreboot snapin software power autologout directory printers wake update]
      2026-09-14T13:48:32+03:00 hostname: unchanged (LAB-01-001)
      2026-09-14T13:48:32+03:00 update: unchanged (already v0.1.9)
      

      Thank you again for your help and quick updates.

      posted in FOG Problems
      R
      rdr
    • RE: FOG 1.6 with fog-agent 0.1.6, agent renames all PC's to the same golden image name when not using sysprep

      @Tom-Elliott Thanks for answer. So do you suggest to use FOG client instead of FOG agent? Or use the agent properly? If I decie to use the agent, should I delete the identity.json file before capturing the image? Then I need to approve all the agents of deployed images after deployment tasks?

      posted in FOG Problems
      R
      rdr
    • FOG 1.6 with fog-agent 0.1.6, agent renames all PC's to the same golden image name when not using sysprep

      Hi,

      I am testing FOG server 1.6 (latest) to use in our PC labs. Installed Windows 10 and all the required apps to the one of the PC’s (MMF-LAB2-00). Then imported all hosts with a simple CSV file (MAC,HOST NAME). Then installed latest fog-agent and approved it in FOG server UI. So far so good. I created a capture task and captured the image from the host MMF-LAB2-00. Then created a deployment task for the remaining PC’s. Deployments also worked without any problem.

      The problem is after a few minutes, there appeared a popup messages on the desktops that is saying FOG agent will rename the computer with the name “MMF-LAB2-00”. And all the PC’s rebooted with the name MMF-LAB2-00 insted of their names on FOG server, MMF-LAB2-01, 02, 03 etc.

      So what am I doing wrong here? Is sysprep mandatory for fog client? Why the fog agent does not poll the name that is matched with its MAC address in FOG UI?

      Regards,

      Rahman

      posted in FOG Problems
      R
      rdr
    • RE: OIDC users and confirmation passwords

      @Tom-Elliott That was quick 😊 I just tested and it works as expected. Thank you.

      Rahman

      posted in General Problems
      R
      rdr
    • OIDC users and confirmation passwords

      Hi,

      I am using FOG server up yo date 1.6 branch. I installed OIDC plugin and enabled automatic user creation when a user logs in via oidc. I have two problems:

      1. IDP is sending email address as username. It works with automatic user creation. User is created with email as username. But it seems FOG server does not allow “@” char in username. So if I try to edit anything for that user, I can not save it as the form gives validation error for the username field. I also can’t disable auto user creation because I can not create a user with username in email format. So how to deal with this?

      2. When an OIDC only user tries to delete a host record, FOG server asks user’s password in a confirmation dialog. But OIDC users does not have any local password so they can’t do anything that requires password confirmation. I am overlooking something? or OIDC login is not usefull at all?

      Regards,

      Rahman

      posted in General Problems
      R
      rdr
    • 1 / 1