Dell Inspiron 15 7559

@Merilious is the uefi iPXE kernel making it to the target computer (i.e. are you seeing the iPXE banner)?

If you are unsure where to turn next, then follow and do what the tutorial says in the previous post. What we need to do is capture the pxe bootup of one of these uefi systems. This works really well if the fog server and the pxe booting client is on the same subnet. Post the pcap here for review.

I can boot and image a BIOS system no problem. It’s UEFI/EFI systems that don’t want to work

for clarity a clear picture taken with a mobile phone helps understand what don’t work means. If we can see the error we may understand what’s wrong. The context of the error is almost as important as the error itself.

• @george1421

UEFI is not working. Only BIOS booting works as intended. When I look in the syslog it shows that there is communication, the client just doesn’t push to the FOG bootup.

@george1421 So with 2.76 is your pxe booting for uefi working as you need it?

Don’t follow this just yet, posting it cause I’m doing 4 things right now and don’t want to loose the link.
    ref: https://forums.fogproject.org/topic/9673/when-dhcp-pxe-booting-process-goes-bad-and-you-have-no-clue

@Merilious That one looks good. There is the next step if that one doesn’t boot correctly. The dnsmaq configuration is built in layers, you start basic and then build up until it works in your environment. Right now you are on step 2 of 3.

• @george1421

Here’s what I’m currently trying out for my ltsp.conf.

# Don't function as a DNS server:
    port=0

# Log lots of extra information about DHCP transactions.
    log-dhcp

# Set the root directory for files available via FTP.
    tftp-root=/tftpboot

# Disable re-use of the DHCP servername and filename fields as extra
    # option space. That's to avoid confusing some old or broken DHCP clients.
    dhcp-no-override

# inspect the vendor class string and match the text to set the tag
    dhcp-vendorclass=BIOS,PXEClient:Arch:00000
    dhcp-vendorclass=UEFI32,PXEClient:Arch:00006
    dhcp-vendorclass=UEFI,PXEClient:Arch:00007
    dhcp-vendorclass=UEFI64,PXEClient:Arch:00009
    dhcp-match=set:ParallelsEFI,97,00:ef:e3:6d:16:10:6f:46:9d:87:12:5a:12:c2

# Set the boot file name based on the matching tag from the vendor class (above)
    dhcp-boot=net:UEFI32,i386-efi/ipxe.efi,,10.200.10.20
    dhcp-boot=net:UEFI,ipxe.efi,,10.200.10.20
    dhcp-boot=net:UEFI64,ipxe.efi,,10.200.10.20
    dhcp-boot=tag:UEFI,tag:ParallelsEFI,intel.efi,10.200.10.20,10.200.10.20

# The boot filename, Server name, Server Ip Address
    dhcp-boot=undionly.kpxe,,10.200.10.20

# PXE menu.  The first part is the text displayed to the user.  The second is the timeout, in seconds.
    pxe-prompt="Booting FOG!", 10

dhcp-range=10.200.10.20,proxy

@Merilious That is the version you need. Now post your ltsp.conf file and we can take a look at that.

• @george1421

********:~$ dnsmasq -v
    Dnsmasq version 2.76 Copyright © 2000-2016 Simon Kelley
    Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus no-i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or 3.

I did the compile tutorial found around the FOG wiki.

@Merilious said in Dell Inspiron 15 7559:

One thing I also noticed is after I installed dnsmasq, my DNS doesn’t work

dnsmasq is taking over your dns for you, you need to disable it in your ltsp.conf file.

@Merilious said in Dell Inspiron 15 7559:

I can boot and image a BIOS system no problem. It’s UEFI/EFI systems that don’t want to work

what version of dnsmasq are you running? You must be on 2.76 or newer to get the dynamic support. Yes I know the docs for the older says it should work, but it doen’t. 2.76 fixes that issue.

From the linux console prompt of your fog server key in dnsmasq -v to get the running version. I have a tutorial on how to compile your own install of dnsmasq if you need it.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.