Fog, Legacy boot, and UEFI, Oh my!

• Let me preface this: I don’t know if what I want is possible. That’s why I brought it here.

Soon, we will be getting new computers. With that means superhappyfuntimes, Not the least of which is UEFI. I can set the computers to use Legacy boot and everything with no problem, but UEFI is much faster. Can I have these three things together:

1. FOG Imaging and management (PXE as first boot option)
    2. UEFI clients
    3. Legacy clients

Or do I need to suck it up, take the extra 20 seconds of boot time, and try to work with that?

• Senior Developer

I don’t know.

There’s lots of documentation on the internet on how to do it, but I’ve never tried any of the steps.

Maybe start there? Specifically: dhcp user class ipxe?

• Alright, I’m going to bump this to try again.

I need FOG to feed the .efi file to UEFI clients and the .kkpxe file to regular clients. How do I set this up?

• I’m on FOG 2072. (That was probably important)

Anyway, UEFI clients don’t seem to boot PXE with the efi PXE client, which would be helpful. I really like the remote wake/task start and I use it quite often. It’d be nice if I could use it.

EDIT: I’ve upgraded to FOG 2637. My UEFI test machine just hangs at “>>Start PXE over IPv4”

• Senior Developer

so, before imaging, you set network boot to legacy mode.

Disable secure boot.

Perform image task (upload/download)

On reboot, re-enable secure boot, make disk first to boot.

Presto, you should work.

A little extra work, but it should work.

• Senior Developer

You can have it all and then some, though one requirement for UEFI booting, before/after imaging, enable/disable secure boot.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.