FOG 33b - installation - HP Elite 8300 SFF
the kernels he is talking about are the ones that the fog server sends to clients when they network boot
When the Client systems are loading, they load two files. First one is bzImage, second is init.xz.
The bzImage is a linux kernel, the init.xz file is the “OS” layer of the FOG System on the host.
The kernel Jaymes is referring to is the bzImage that’s loaded onto the client systems. There are no particular issues on the FOG Server itself. This is the kernel I’ve been maintaining as much as possible. It has NOTHING to do with the fog server, besides it is stored under /var/www/fog/service/ipxe/bzImage.
The fact that the FOGMulticastManager service is stopped leads me to think there is some problem, just not one that I can pinpoint without trying to get more information. If you’re willing to work forward I can try to help with this. I realize your not being paid for this and I feel the pain. Which is why I’m frustrated with you, from my eyes, seemingly just giving up.
Very helpful explanation.
Actually I haven’t given up. It’s just that I MUST get the staff system running in 2 days time. And that’s impossible. That’s the real source of my frustration. I’m happy to keep working at this for the sake of others in the future who might have similar problems and helping with 0.33b, but not for at least a week until I’ve got the school system up and running. I will keep you very briefly updated on anything I discover, but nothing time-consuming for the time being. I’m in the middle of what is, for me, a big migration and huge learning curve. All new PCs, Server, printers, VLANS, Firewall, multimedia systems. Going from XP to Win 8.1 is a big jump. I’ll be using SYSPREP for the first time and answer files, ADBA etc…
Have now connected everything to the school VLAN again.
Rebooted after fixing sleep 30.
Checked multicast log - no log for the last 3 hours
Multicast to 2 HP
TFTP is now running after reboot (problem fixed)
Multicast failed as expected
Stop and start multicast
Multicast to 2 HP
Multicast worked as expected
Checked multicast log - it is running now, BUT, the log shows 7:30 PM when it is actually 9:30 PM on the Ubuntu clock as it is in reality here in Norway. I just mention it in case it has significance.
This multicast problem is now predictable and fixable for me. I’m heading home.