GPT Partitions with UEFI

• Greetings Everyone.

I really need some help. I have been tasked with the imaging and deployment of 135 Acer Veriton Nettop PCs for one of our clients. Problem is, I can’t get FOG to image and deploy correctly with these Nettops. The PC’s have Windows 7 installed using a GPT Partition table instead of MBR and FOG is not liking it. First try, it appeared I was able to upload an image successfully but could not push it out. After the disk settled down it breezed threw the rest in a matter of couple seconds with a “task complete”. The Disks have 4 partitions. I have sought after software that would allow me to convert these partitions to MBR without loosing data but have found none compatible with system disks. Reinstalling Windows with a MBR partition is not an option due to licencing issues. I need to either be able to successfully pull and push an image with the existing windows 7 installed or somehow convert the partition table to MBR without data loss. (the bios supports legacy boot). Any help would be appreciated!!!

• Just an update everyone,

After hour and hours of research, I have found a way to convert a system GPT partition to MBR without losing data. I compiled a crude walkthrew for everyone.

page for more details on this.

• When you’re happy with the MS-DOS/MBR layout, press w to write changes to the disk.
    • Shutdown Fedora 16 and boot from the Windows 7 installation media
    • Enter your language & keyboard layout and then select the option to repair your computer in the bottom left corner.
    • From the available options, select Startup Repair. Windows will ask for a reboot.
    • Follow the previous three steps again to boot the Windows 7 installation and run startup repair
    • Once again, boot the Windows 7 installation media but this time opt to open a command prompt instead of choosing startup repair. Type:
      bootrec /scanos
      bootrec /rebuildbcd
      bootrec /fixmbr
      bootrec /fixboot
    • Close the command prompt and run Startup Repair one last time.

%(#000000]Some noted they were successful with skipping the 2nd and 3rd startup repair in the windows 7 install disk. I did all steps. The Rebuildbcd and fixboot threw me an error. That’s when i discovered the next steps necessary.

THEN…

1)[
    2: Right click on partition with windows]
    %(#000000]3)[
    4: Run windows recovery to fix any other errors (using startup repair, and sometimes when it scans for OS’s it repairs automatically) Run windows recovery startup repair twice.]

I followed each step listed in order and was able to successfully complete this operation. UEFI is here to stay so I hope that .33 supports GPT partitions and UEFI,

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.