Restoring Images from storage node

• We recently updated the Fog server storage node, from a 80GB to a 2TB.

Install was exactly the same and all the passwords are the same ext…
    Now the interesting thing is I copied the old images from the old HD to the new server via ftp. (using ubuntu 12.04 on my duel boot laptop and a startech USB HD SATA dock)

Every time trying to deploy an image it would run up to the ‘waiting for disk to settle’ just fine, then all of a sudden to the please wait… then finishing the deployment, without actually downloading the image.

I tried uploading an image, which worked fine, then tried downloading the ‘fresh’ image, which works fine. I checked and matched file permissions/owner/group with the original files.

Since we happen to have several more 745s around I am trying another method (by plugging in the old install into another computer (removing static ip) then uploading images to the new computer directly. (getting rid of the startech deal) I am hoping this works but if not, is there anything else that was missed for why it wouldn’t transfer?

• Allright, copying from one computer to another didn’t work, however I tried another approach… we have a disk duplicator from startech, so I plugged in the 80GB into the source and 2TB into destination and let it copy. It made an identical copy successfully, however the partition sizes where the same. So I used GParted to grow the sda1 to ~2TB. (with 3GB for swap) everything booted and is working fine.

I have now jumped from 98% usage down to 8% usage :)

Now the only issue this brings up is how to backup fog images if copying them somewhere and reviving them doesn’t work…

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to FOG Project was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.